Boris's new larger enclosure made from Argos bookcase

matheny00

Location (City and/or State)
Anaheim, Calif
I might have missed this and have a few questions. I have 2 redfoots and they are outgrowing their enclosure and I saw yours, it just happens I have a bookcase laying around so that is good. I understand the design aspect and waterproofing not an issue. What my questions are is the substrate.... What did you use or would suggest for redfoots, and how deep is the base? With those two questions did you reinforce the back / now bottom of the bookcase to hold the weight? Also anyone with ideas please chime in this is how we take a good idea and make it great.
Thank youtort.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like to use fir bark for substrate with RF tortoises.

When using a book case for an enclosure, once it's full and populated, it can't be moved - they're just too flimsy. So if you use pond liner to protect the wood, the pond liner makes it a bit stronger.

matheny00

Anaheim, Calif
Thank you for your input how deep for the bark. for portability and strength we have two carts see attached those will be modified some and connected end to end so the enclosure will be fully mobile to the point we can put it outside at times. THis will have a rainforest feel and just need help with things to put in the enclosure. When we get started we will post pictures on the progress.

Attachments

• cart.jpg
    cart.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11

matheny00

Anaheim, Calif
Ok here is one more question this will be near a window so they can get natural light and some heat. The question is does UV rays go through the glass somewhere I remember reading it does not. Any thoughts?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
UV rays do not penetrate window glass. My house was built in 1923 and has single pane glass- NO UVB per my Solarmeter 6.5r