Boris's new larger enclosure made from Argos bookcase

Joan850

Location (City and/or State)
NC
Hi all. I've not posted for a while as I sometimes find the site a bit intimidating. Sorry, just a lot of people with a lot of opinions. But I was so excited that I thought I'd share photos of Boris's, my 2 year old Russian tort's new bigger enclosure. It's 6ft x3ft and I would have liked bigger but he is slowly taking over my son's bedroom! Next we'll need to swap his double bed for a single and give Boris the double. ? So far Boris is loving it. He is exploring and a lot more active with more space. It's very satisfying to see him roaming and exploring. I spend so much time just watching him.
I know he has some pyramiding, this was evident when we got him at 18months old from the breeder. I travelled 300 miles to get him from breeder in England not a pet shop. We were told to use sand and dry substrate, but thankfully I did my research and joined this forum to get the correct advice on substrate - Coco coir and orchid bark and humidity. Boris is now 28 months, 10.3cm and 237g. Does this sound ok for his age? We think he's prob a boy because he tucks his tail to the side a lot.
Any more good advice welcome please. Just hopefully not that I have everything wrong. I am trying my best to give Boris a great life in Scotland. Feeding him on local weeds and supplementing with Mizuri pellets. I just wish he could live outdoors. Roll on some sunshine....
Thanks, Lynne.

View attachment 286818View attachment 286819View attachment 286820View attachment 286821View attachment 286822
What did you put on the bottom of his enclosure to withstand moisture?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Nice and simple
IMHO get rid of that lamp stand - it will collapse - they are made out of cheap material and there are many horror stories on here about them breaking and falling into the enclosure.
I have four of the Zoo Med lamp stands. If you set them up properly, with the foot UNDER the outside of the enclosure, and don't raise or extend the arms out past where it's safe to do so, they work great. I'm a big fan of them.