Boring my RF?

Ashley Baradell

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Mississippi
I feel as though my red footed tortoises indoor enclosure is... Boring.

I have had Cecil for 3 years. Each year I end up buying him a bigger enclosure and I am currently constructing an outdoor enclosure for him. I tried allowing him to roam my large yard freely that is enclosed with a 6foot security fence, but he digs under the gapped parts and escapes... And that causes me to have mini heart attacks, even though both times he just walked around the house and hid in the garage.

So for now, until the outside enclosure is done, he stays inside, with an exception of supervised outside visits every other day for a couple hours.

Back to the indoor enclosure. I think it's boring. I attached a photo but here's what I've got: large plastic Rubbermaid container with cypress mulch substrate, partially buried planter pot as a hide, terra cotta soaking dish, uv and heat lamps, and tiles for food.

The reason I think it's boring is because when I take him outside and let him explore, he just lights up. It appears he literally gets excited. And when I bring him back in, he appears depressed. I may be over thinking it lol, but any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
I know how you feel! I have the same situation here. At least you have just one. Im dealing with three. I did some changes in my indoor enclosure so they can see differents things, until I can finish the new upgrade I have for them.
This is what it was.....
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411611972.671862.jpg

And this is how it is now...
(No live plants do to bad weather)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411612020.138128.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411612032.288241.jpg

Ashley Baradell

Southern Mississippi
I wish I had the indoor space to do the set up you have dobbyred! It looks great!

But since I don't- outside is my only option.

My intentions for outside was originally the whole yard, but like I said, he's an escape artist. The size is still negotiable, as I am still collecting materials.
russian-sulcata-tortoise do you have any suggestions?

Ashley Baradell

Southern Mississippi
That looks great too! What do you do during the winter? I live in mississippi so there is a very short period of cold, but it is certainly too cold for Cecil.

turtlegirl13

I love all of your enclosures! Mine looks a lot like the first picture so I don't think I need to post a photo :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Sometimes to liven up enclosure you can add plants and "furniture". Instead of putting the food in just one place maybe put it in several different places so that he has to walk around a little bit and look for it. Maybe try to make a double-decker by putting another tote above that one with a ramp connecting the two? Or make a tunnel to another tote. It seems like I have never stopped upgrading and improving and changing my tortoise and turtle enclosures :)even when I think they are done I still rearrange the furniture once a while to make it a little different for them. I'm not sure if I'm actually making them feel better or me feel better.