Bookcase enclosure

Nanalingle

Location (City and/or State)
SUMMERVILLE
I converted a 6ft bookshelf into nice new home for Leonardo, my 4 month old Sulcata. Went from a 3 ft to 6ft. Since this enclosure is so much bigger, I am having a difficult time regulating heat and humidity. Right now I have a 100w ceramic heat lamp and a 75w bulb. One end is mostly covered as his hide box. I spray water several times a day on the cedar mulch/ Coco coir mix substrate. I think I may be using the wrong heat and light bulbs so I am going to pick up regular flood light bulbs and 60w led bulbs as I've read are best on this forum. Any suggestions to solve my problem would be greatly appreciated. A few pictures below.

Attachments

• PXL_20210718_183316221.jpg
    PXL_20210718_183316221.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20210718_183255653.jpg
    PXL_20210718_183255653.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20210718_183250836.jpg
    PXL_20210718_183250836.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Enclose it. Make like a saw horse type frame and hang plastic over it. They should be in a closed chamber until approx 3 years of age. Not likely to not pyramid if they are in an open top enclosure.

Last edited:

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I converted a 6ft bookshelf into nice new home for Leonardo, my 4 month old Sulcata. Went from a 3 ft to 6ft. Since this enclosure is so much bigger, I am having a difficult time regulating heat and humidity. Right now I have a 100w ceramic heat lamp and a 75w bulb. One end is mostly covered as his hide box. I spray water several times a day on the cedar mulch/ Coco coir mix substrate. I think I may be using the wrong heat and light bulbs so I am going to pick up regular flood light bulbs and 60w led bulbs as I've read are best on this forum. Any suggestions to solve my problem would be greatly appreciated. A few pictures below.
sweet enclosure. One thing I noticed is you might want to use plexi glass for most of the enclosure and not use clamps for the lights. They can absolutely fail and cause a fire.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes the green house will work and absolutely do not use the clamps unless you put extra security on them so they can fall if/when clamps fail. We have had members have clamps fail and fired or burnt tortoise as a result.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
You can use plexi glass and chicken wire for the fixtures to settle on. make two holes or an area for your lamps to sit on with the chicken wire. 98% of the cage being plexi glass. Also, Cabinet liner is perfect for lining any enclosure for torts. They are great! I stapled my hatchlings enclosure with clear cabinet liner and it works wonders for my baby. I see you are already using something, but if you want other ideas cabinet liners are awesome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm hoping you meant to say 'cypress' and NOT 'cedar.' Cedar shouldn't be used for tortoise substrate.

Nanalingle

SUMMERVILLE
You can use plexi glass and chicken wire for the fixtures to settle on. make two holes or an area for your lamps to sit on with the chicken wire. 98% of the cage being plexi glass. Also, Cabinet liner is perfect for lining any enclosure for torts. They are great! I stapled my hatchlings enclosure with clear cabinet liner and it works wonders for my baby. I see you are already using something, but if you want other ideas cabinet liners are awesome!
Thank you so much... I used a heavy duty plastic shower curtain, but I will remember the cabinet liners for future reference.