Bob

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
No, I He was turned into Y's rescue when he was 4 and 35 pounds. Already pyramided. I took him for what she said would be 2 weeks. That was 17 years ago....
It could have been nothing to do with your husbandry, and everything to do with his body just not processing things correctly. And how could you have known?

You gave him a wonderful life for the time he had, and entertained us with all of his adventures. <3

M

Maggie Cummings

I try to not talk about it. What I have told is not even the horrible part. It was worse then a nightmare. That "Vet" really didn't know what he was doing, and the anesthesia tech left halfway thru the surgery and went home. The Vet says, "that's too bad, I don't know how to work that machine." Damn good thing I went to vet tech school. My friends had to work in the morning, so they left me alone. The whole experience had elements of a horror movie. It wasn't just that Bob was dying, but it was some of the things the "Vet" did were the stuff of nightmares. I don't talk about and try hard not to think about the worse parts. Frankly, I will never be the same. It's been 6 months, I'm not getting better, I'm abscessing..... I will try hard not to talk about Bob again.....

Last edited by a moderator:

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Valley Springs, CA
so many tears for you and bob. I can't imagine your pain. I am so sorry for you and for poor bob who deserved only the best. Shame on that "vet" the karma train will pay him a visit.

Well, truthfully, I feel full of pain, I still cry daily, I loved him more than I ever loved anything. Everyone could see that he was different, more personable, and it was obvious he loved me. He was like a dog with me. He would never leave me alone. In the hot afternoons we would go into his shed I'd lay in the hay, he would climb up and put his head on my leg and we would nap together. I could tell so many stories like that. Every year he went to get his picture taken with Santa. I live in a small town and more people knew Bob and his name, I was just Bob's "mom". But what I remember most was the nightmare of his death. The Vet was an ***. I knew more than he. I at one point started mouth to mouth because Bob was not breathing and they were not bagging him. The "Vet" closed Bob up even tho I could see he was still bleeding. I even screamed at him to remove that stupid plaster thing and stop the bleeding. At midnight, he was put into my Camaro still under the anesthesia, I was 100 miles from home, alone and I knew my tortoise was dying. My friends had gone and it was just me and Bob. I kept pulling over and bagging him. He was not coming out of the anesthesia. I did mouth to mouth, I bagged him, I yelled and shook him. A 2 hour drive turned into a 4 hour drive. Then when I finally got home how was I going to get him into the house. I weight 120, he, 125. All I know is, next thing I knew He and I were in the warm bathroom. Our cheeks were together from then until 5 am when he breathed his last breath on my cheek.
I really don't have any advice. I'm bitter, and I'd sue him if I had the wherewithall. Yet I thought Bob was sick in May and because I'm on SS there's not much money, so I mostly tried to make him better on my own. I did take him to his Vet, we did an ultrasound that said it saw nothing.I feel Bob's death was my fault and there just is no way to deal with that. I have no wisdom as to handle a crisis, because I haven't. My best advice, if you think your tortoise is sick, take him to the Vet right away. No matter what it takes. Had I done that, maybe, Bob would still be alive.
And I still don't know for a tort that was so healthily fed, and well hydrated, where did that stone come from. Why? What did I do wrong? Anybody know?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I try to not talk about it. What I have told is not even the horrible part. It was worse then a nightmare. That "Vet" really didn't know what he was doing, and the anesthesia tech left halfway thru the surgery and went home. The Vet says, "that's too bad, I don't know how to work that machine." Damn good thing I went to vet tech school. My friends had to work in the morning, so they left me alone. The whole experience had elements of a horror movie. It wasn't just that Bob was dying, but it was some of the things the "Vet" did were the stuff of nightmares. I don't talk about and try hard not to think about the worse parts. Frankly, I will never be the same. It's been 6 months, I'm not getting better, I'm abscessing..... I will try hard not to talk about Bob again.....
Maggie, I'm feeling your pain so hard that I'm crying with you. I know if it happens to me, and it could, despite all the wonderful care I'm giving my torts, I would be inconsolable. No one or nothing could console me cause I don't want to be consoled.
Maggie,,the relationship you had with Bob is one I have with my Beasty Boy. He's always had a propensity to develop stones since he was less than a year old. Mainly, I could blame myself for not knowing how to properly take care of him til he was 8 months old. By then, he had to go to a hosp to have a stone removed. He hasn't had one since, but he does get sick from time to time. He's probably the healthiest tort I have, certainly the largest, and he is like a Billy goat. What a personality he has. I nap with him in his pen, and look directly into his eyes. I speak to him and stroke his head, arms, and cheek. I love him so much that I pray I die before he does. I just don't want to know if anything happens to him. So, I'm feeling your pain ;(

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
OMG! I've been away awhile... Bob is dead??!! Please tell me it's not true! I'm not hearing that right, right??

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
OMG! I've been away awhile... Bob is dead??!! Please tell me it's not true! I'm not hearing that right, right??

Sadly, it's very true :-(

I believe Maggie is taking a break from talking about this right now.

Mary <3

Maggie, my heart is broken for you. I don't know if it is possible for someone to love a tort more than you loved Bob. Although it is painful, you are helping other tort owners and torts by talking about the whole experience. I know you have made me a more educated and wiser owner. All I can say is if I were a tort, I would want you as my Mom!!

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Well, truthfully, I feel full of pain, I still cry daily, I loved him more than I ever loved anything. Everyone could see that he was different, more personable, and it was obvious he loved me. He was like a dog with me. He would never leave me alone. In the hot afternoons we would go into his shed I'd lay in the hay, he would climb up and put his head on my leg and we would nap together. I could tell so many stories like that. Every year he went to get his picture taken with Santa. I live in a small town and more people knew Bob and his name, I was just Bob's "mom". But what I remember most was the nightmare of his death. The Vet was an ***. I knew more than he. I at one point started mouth to mouth because Bob was not breathing and they were not bagging him. The "Vet" closed Bob up even tho I could see he was still bleeding. I even screamed at him to remove that stupid plaster thing and stop the bleeding. At midnight, he was put into my Camaro still under the anesthesia, I was 100 miles from home, alone and I knew my tortoise was dying. My friends had gone and it was just me and Bob. I kept pulling over and bagging him. He was not coming out of the anesthesia. I did mouth to mouth, I bagged him, I yelled and shook him. A 2 hour drive turned into a 4 hour drive. Then when I finally got home how was I going to get him into the house. I weight 120, he, 125. All I know is, next thing I knew He and I were in the warm bathroom. Our cheeks were together from then until 5 am when he breathed his last breath on my cheek.
I really don't have any advice. I'm bitter, and I'd sue him if I had the wherewithall. Yet I thought Bob was sick in May and because I'm on SS there's not much money, so I mostly tried to make him better on my own. I did take him to his Vet, we did an ultrasound that said it saw nothing.I feel Bob's death was my fault and there just is no way to deal with that. I have no wisdom as to handle a crisis, because I haven't. My best advice, if you think your tortoise is sick, take him to the Vet right away. No matter what it takes. Had I done that, maybe, Bob would still be alive.
And I still don't know for a tort that was so healthily fed, and well hydrated, where did that stone come from. Why? What did I do wrong? Anybody know?
Maggie,
I don't know you but over time, I feel like I have known enough to be certain you did NOTHING wrong. Bob was a star in here. He had more personality in his little toe than most of our torts combined.
I am literally crying reading this right now. Like... waterworks.
I can't believe you went through that.
What that vet did was so wrong!
I went from being a regular vet tech to herpetological vet tech many years ago and have now worked my way up to an intensive care specialty nurse. I deal with anesthesiologists and botched surgeries all the time. If what you are saying is true, it is an OUTRAGE. No vet not anesthesiologist should have done any number of the things I am reading here. I don't know the details, but in no circumstance should they have put him in your car still under anesthesia and dying unless you asked them to. That's insane!
Anyway, I know you don't want to talk about it and I respect that, but just coming back and hearing this.... it is so, so sad.
If you do decide to sue, I would be happy to contribute. As would probably most here.
I know you have close relationships with others here, but I feel your pain. I see people go through things like this with their loved "people" everyday. It should never have happened to Bob.
I am so incredibly sorry that you had to go through this and my heart and prayers go out to you.
Kymm

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Sweet mercy Maggie... Sitting here in shock and sadness for you. Words cannot express
nothing can express..

I am so sorry for your loss. Bob was a beloved companion and more.
We send our love and hugs.