Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have two 10 year old male Aldabran tortoises. Bo, (the Bigger One) and So, (the Smaller One). Last year Bo developed a foamy mouth. No other symptoms, just a lot of foam in and around his mouth. The vet prescribed a round of Baytril tablets to be administered, however at the end of the sequence there was no change. Because he was eating, wandering and otherwise acting normally, I just let it go.

Well, this year, seeing the two tortoises side-by-side, I've come to realize that Bo is now the smaller one. So now we have two symptoms: a foamy mouth and slow or non-growth.

My vet, Dr. Sue Lynch, used to be the vet at our zoo. She now has a private mobile practice. But because she's mobile, there are some things she can't do, for instance, an X-ray.

It was suggested that the tortoise might have bladder stones, and another suggestion was pnuemonia. Both of those things would show up on an X-ray. Dr. Sue was going to be working as a relief vet in a local vet hospital here in town, so we made an appointment for Dr. Sue to use their X-ray machine today.

Here's Bo trying to get away (because they can read minds and he knew something was afoot:

Botryingtogetaway.jpg

Dossilyn, the little girl from across the street, is a little afraid of the giant tortoises. I wanted her to stand next to the tortoise for size comparison, but she wouldn't without her dad's help.

Here's Bo in the back of the truck with Dossilyn screaming, "GET ME OUTTA' HERE!!!"

BointruckscaringDossilyn.jpg

And here's Bo's ride being loaded into the truck:

PuttingBosrideinthetruck.jpg

Once we got to the vet office, we were busy loading up the tortoise into the wheel barrow, signing in, etc. and I completely forgot about my camera in my pocket - darn it! It was quite a sight to see. He hardly fit. But he was a pretty good boy, and didn't try to climb out.

So anyway...the X-ray doesn't show any stones and no pnuemonia. However, there IS a small piece of wire somewhere inside him. We weren't able to tell if it has punctured the intestine and is floating around inside or if its traveling down the normal route of escape. The vet didn't think this would be causing the foam. And she thinks (hopes) it will either rust away or pass through.

Looking at the stool sample under the microscope she thought she could see giardia, so she's going to get me some medication for that.

Bo is a strange shaped tortoise and not nearly as pretty as So, and on the X-ray his spine looks like he's got scoliosis.

Oh...and...Bo plus the wheel barrow weigh 185lbs. The wheel barrow without Bo weighs 55lbs.

M

Maggie Cummings

Fascinating...thanks for all that, it was really interesting...

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
thanks for the pics and the info! i LOVE aldabra's and WILL have one some day. i hope Bo starts feeling better soon. sorry to hear he is sick

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great info. Very interesting. I'll stay tuned to see how everything turns out.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I'm sorry to hear Bo isn't doing so well! I hope he starts to get better soon!

(And "Dossilyn" ? What a unique name!)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yvonne I hope that Bo does better. I know it was quite a chore to get him to the vet in the first place. Thank goodness you have nice neighbors like you do. Keep us updated on him.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Is it a constant foaming? or is it occasional? do you see it maybe when he eats something that the other one doesn't?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nope, its always there. Not a whole bunch, but always foamy.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ok if you already know this you can disregard it, but I looked online for foamy mouth on tortoises and they all seem to point to a RI, I know the xray said it wasn't, the only other thing I could find was some people said it could be dehydration, but that was mainly due to it being to hot and no access to drinking water, which is not really your case, but I thought this might help some. Best wishes to BO.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I hope Bo gets better and nice P.V. panels on your roof, good move.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Good Luck with Bo, When you put him in the wheelbarrow do you have to turn him over or does he set in it upright without trying to climb out? Len

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The vet tried to gather some of the foam into a syringe for testing, but couldn't get enough to count.

He was treated for a respiratory infection last year when the foam first appeared...it didn't help.

When he's in the wheel barrow, he's right-side-up only canted a little bit to one side. He's fatter than the wheel barrow. He just sat there and looked around.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Wow, felt like I was reading from National geographic! Thanks for taking the time to share abt Bo. Hope the root cause is unveiled soon!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Poor Bo, I hope you get an easy answer. I did love seeing the pics of his departure. Poor kiddo, she looks like she's kicking and screaming!

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
hallo, we have the same problem at the moment with our 9 year Aldabra.
She is in the vet clinic since 2 weeks, x-ray diagnosis pneumonia.
Terapy doxyciclin injections for 2 weeks.
The foam is gone now, x ray shows no more pneumonia.
Still very weak, little feeding.
Next week i will take her back home to the group for christmas!
greetings
Jemo

Status
Not open for further replies.