Bo, 2.5 month old Eastern Hermann's (likely male)

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, MA
Hello everyone, my name is Tori and I am a new tort mommy to our little Bo who hatched on Jan. 16, 2021 and came home to us on March 2, 2021.

Photos below are of our baby and his enclosure. You'll see his enclosure is a tortoise table (2' x 4'), half covered with a "water proof" tarp to keep that side humid at around 60% at 79.3F( I am still missing a humid hide, but the boy is smart and will tuck himself behind the Buddha with air plants). Basking temp ranges between 95.2F-99.8F, cool side is around 79.7F-83.5F with 48-55% humidity. Bulbs in the two dome lights are 75W basking bulbs. I use a slimline tube UVB light for a few hours in the morning while he grazes.

Today in particular he has been more active—yesterday (day two of being home) he slept probably about 18 hours if not more, ate romaine with baby arugula and butterhead (working on indoor garden) all dusted slightly with calcium powder. Today I offered collard greens, romaine, carrot tops, and a pinch of fresh dill weed with a single watered down grassland tortoise food pellet (?); after this morning's bath he ate a little, roamed, found his water dish—peed with a small urate and a nice solid little poop. He napped briefly before roaming again, finding his cuddle bone, and then back to take another bite of food to basking.

Currently, I have two main concerns:
1.) How long should Bo be exposed to UVB tube light? My breeder told me only a few hours a day is sufficient as long as the basking bulbs were on for 12-14 hours.
2.) I did get strictly organic fresh items for him to eat until I can get my garden going, wash them appropriately, but I'd love any advice on what to feed my Bobo.

I've wanted him for nearly a decade and he's here and it's like all my research went out the door !

Attachments

• bobo03.04.21.JPG
    bobo03.04.21.JPG
    294.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 1A628756-57A5-4E75-B8AF-1179B66F4ECA.JPG
    1A628756-57A5-4E75-B8AF-1179B66F4ECA.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 30
  • EE819875-04C7-4B91-B860-D8406DE51FBF.JPG
    EE819875-04C7-4B91-B860-D8406DE51FBF.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 27

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
your humidity is too low. you want it 60-80% and I would recommend even higher for a hatchling.

Why do you think he is a he?

only give calcium 1-2 a week

hatchlings don't need a ton of UVB as they spend most of their time hiding but its good to give them 6 or so hours a day.

Arlington, MA
your humidity is too low. you want it 60-80% and I would recommend even higher for a hatchling.

Why do you think he is a he?

only give calcium 1-2 a week

hatchlings don't need a ton of UVB as they spend most of their time hiding but its good to give them 6 or so hours a day.

Right! I've read and heard people saying the humidity I have is fine as long as I keep a humid hide—which still has not yet come but will be added very soon.

The breeder incubated for male—don't get me wrong, I know we won't know until his little wee comes out one day but wishful thinking doesn't hurt!

Yes, calcium twice a week. But so UVB exposure should be about 6hrs per day, got it!

Arlington, MA
Right! I've read and heard people saying the humidity I have is fine as long as I keep a humid hide—which still has not yet come but will be added very soon.

The breeder incubated for male—don't get me wrong, I know we won't know until his little wee comes out one day but wishful thinking doesn't hurt!

Yes, calcium twice a week. But so UVB exposure should be about 6hrs per day, got it!

And yes, thank you for reposting the care sheets, I've read them as well. I'm keeping him indoors, only will have an outdoor pen when he's older and will only be out in the summer when the sun is out. I'm in the Boston area, so humid summers but not too hot usually.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY

humid hide or not... you should still be aiming for higher all around, all the time.

Arlington, MA
humid hide or not... you should still be aiming for higher all around, all the time.

Of course! thank you, I will figure out a solution—any suggestions? I'm against Plexiglas as my setup is better for the shower curtain route

it's worth mentioning too that for the substrate I use a mix of fir bark mixed with cypress mulch (big pieces covering the bottom), a layer or reptibark (smaller pieces for him to walk on) and lastly, another layer of smaller cypress mulch. I mist frequently and water down the entire enclosure each morning while he's in his bath, and then spot-water on the humid side ( I say humid side because one side has more humidity (60%) than the other (48%-55%)

Last edited:

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
a mini greenhouse type top might work... search the forum for pics