Blueberry Bush inside of a Redfoot enclosure?

nachotheredfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Hyattsville
I am looking into making my little guy's enclosure more lush.
He is in a 3X8 enclosure and it looks rather plain and I am hoping the increase in vegetation will help with humidity as well as add some color for him.
I bought some hibiscus and grape vine since I heard Redfoots really enjoy those.
I personally like blueberries so I was wondering if a blueberry bush would be ok to keep in his enclosure? I am not sure if the plant itself is toxic or harmful to redfoot tortoises?
Any advise would be appreciated!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Anything I plant in the center of my Redfoot enclosure generally works out fine.
Anything planted in the outside perimeter gets trampled or eaten.
Well fed Redfoot leave most plants alone.

L

LasTortugasNinja

blueberries are very high in tannins and a natural laxative, so I'm not sure you want the tort eating too much of it, but a berry here or there won't affect them too much. Biggest issue is the berries will attract lots of birds, so you'll be cleaning a lot of bird poop out of the enclosure.

I used to have blueberries and blackberries in my back yard along my patio, and it attracted jays and other berry fans like crazy. Ended up moving them across the yard, because my patio looked like a Jackson Pollock painting.

nachotheredfoot

Hyattsville
blueberries are very high in tannins and a natural laxative, so I'm not sure you want the tort eating too much of it, but a berry here or there won't affect them too much. Biggest issue is the berries will attract lots of birds, so you'll be cleaning a lot of bird poop out of the enclosure.

I used to have blueberries and blackberries in my back yard along my patio, and it attracted jays and other berry fans like crazy. Ended up moving them across the yard, because my patio looked like a Jackson Pollock painting.

Thanks for the info. Would you know if the leaves and the plant itself ok if he eats it?

SPILL

Illinois
We've had a blueberry bush in one of our enclosures since we brought it in from outside last fall. They haven't touched it.