Block of chestnut wood safe?

NeekoBe

Location (City and/or State)
Belgium
Hello everyone,

Recently i've come across a block of chestnut wood (was meant as firewood). That I wanted to put inside the enclosure so my russian would have an extra obstacle to climb on.

Now I know chestnuts themselves are a big no-no and so are leaves, but what about a block of wood? Knowing my tortoise she'll find a way to eat a piece of it so i'm wondering if it could be hamfull.

Cheers!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
No. Walnut trees kill almost everything under there canopy. My neighbors behind me fought so much over one tree that caused a 3 meter patch of blight in a magnificent plant garden. If you have access to tools saw it into strips and glue together to make a cutting board. Sorry for the bad news. Have you tried mounding some mulch or using softer big stones like sandstone

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
C
No. Walnut trees kill almost everything under there canopy. My neighbors behind me fought so much over one tree that caused a 3 meter patch of blight in a magnificent plant garden. If you have access to tools saw it into strips and glue together to make a cutting board. Sorry for the bad news. Have you tried mounding some mulch or using softer big stones like sandstone

But, what about Chestnut?. OP was asking about Chestnut. I too have heard nasty things about the dreaded walnut trees.... their chemicals keep other plants/trees/shrubs from encroaching their space.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
C

But, what about Chestnut?. OP was asking about Chestnut. I too have heard nasty things about the dreaded walnut trees.... their chemicals keep other plants/trees/shrubs from encroaching their space.
The Horse Chestnut is poisonous for both cats and dogs. Typical symptoms include coma, convulsions, depression, diarrhea, dilated pupils, excitement, loss of coordination, twitching, vomiting and wobbly. ... The young foliage of the tree is also poisonous. The scientific name for this plant is Aesculus glabra. Thanks for keeping me honest- still a bad tree. the nuts have a huge amount of sugar in them

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The Horse Chestnut is poisonous for both cats and dogs. Typical symptoms include coma, convulsions, depression, diarrhea, dilated pupils, excitement, loss of coordination, twitching, vomiting and wobbly. ... The young foliage of the tree is also poisonous. The scientific name for this plant is Aesculus glabra. Thanks for keeping me honest- still a bad tree. the nuts have a huge amount of sugar in them

I wonder about the nice big edible American Chestnut, wonder if it is just as bad. Regardless, it’s always best to check things, not assume it’s “ok”.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
Also not good for humans, although you can take small amounts as a supplement for circulation. Efficacy debatable. Luckily none of these animals are inclined or really able to eat horse chestnuts. They are essentially stones.
They are very common in the UK where we call them conkers. Some American suburbs are lined with them too. They are native to Europe and have been introduced to both places.
Interesting tree but not the same as chestnuts ;)

NeekoBe

Belgium
The thing i was wondering about was the actual Blocks of wood though, not leaves or fruit of the Chestnut tree :)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The thing i was wondering about was the actual Blocks of wood though, not leaves or fruit of the Chestnut tree :)
As long as it is dried out. The oils are the issue. So with patience you will have a wicked addition to the enclosure.