Bloated sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
Hmmmm.... My vet said a lot of things can cause bloating. Did they do a blood panel? My vet is checking about a million different things. I hope your guy is okay :)

Tortoiselover87

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Did they do a blood test?

They did not want to do a blood test yet as the Dr. said that usually you can only get a conclusive answer 30-40% of the time so we are trying the antibiotics first, although he really does not like getting his shots :( . He has improved a little so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tortoiselover87 said:
dmmj said:
Did they do a blood test?

They did not want to do a blood test yet as the Dr. said that usually you can only get a conclusive answer 30-40% of the time so we are trying the antibiotics first, although he really does not like getting his shots :( . He has improved a little so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
good to hear he is improving

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Glad to hear the update. We all will continue to keep our fingers crossed too:)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My vet ran a blood panel to check everything. His seemed to think the blood panel would tell us what is wrong with Trudy. Strange she has an RI too, but he said it would not cause the bloating.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If they didn't take an x-ray, I would seriously consider getting an x-ray. This way you can rule out stones as the cause of the edema. Also blood work would be a good idea as that can help tell how much the kidneys are functioning.

Danny

Tortoiselover87

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
If they didn't take an x-ray, I would seriously consider getting an x-ray. This way you can rule out stones as the cause of the edema. Also blood work would be a good idea as that can help tell how much the kidneys are functioning.

Danny

They did do an x-ray. The vet wanted to rule out the stones and also if he had swallowed a little piece of metal that would cause metal poisoning which would also cause the bloating. He has to go back in for a check up so if he has not improved enough then we will go ahead with the blood work. He is peeing a lot and is still expressing some salts so his kidneys should still be functioning somewhat.

Tortoiselover87

5 Year Member
Just wanted to update everyone. Hank is doing really well. His bloating has gone down so much. He is still a little bloated but is getting better everyday. He also has a check up in a week and a half to check on his RI and to get his shell fixed again.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Oh, great to hear that! Good the little guy is better! Thanks for the update

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
great news on the update. happy to hear things are progressing in the positive direction.

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.