Blew bubble out of nostril....sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Today I noticed my new leopard tortoise (4 months old) blew a bubble out of one nostril. I watched him for a while and he blew another one a few minutes later. I kept watching and the bubbles stopped. So all together I saw him blow 2 bubbles out of the same nostril. Could this be a respiratory infection???? What should I do? Please help...

He's been eating good. I've been feeding him twice a day either spring mix, turnip greens and/or soaked Mazuri. I got him 5 days ago and since then he's gained 2 grams (from 42g to 44g today).

I have been soaking him every morning for 15-20 mins.

I made his enclosure using a cement mixing tray. For substrate I am using 50/50 play sand and coconut coir, sphagnum moss and cypress mulch. I added some real plants (mini jade and pachyveria "blue pearl"). I also added a fake amapallo in the humid end. I have a water tray (small terra cotta dish) in the dry end and his food dish in the middle. In the middle more near the humid end, I have a rock-looking cave. I keep the humid end at 50-70% humidity but I think with me spraying it, it is making it too cool (80 degrees). The hot end has a temp of 95.

I'm in So Cal and we've been having temps in the 90s. I've been putting him outside in his tray during the day and inside with a heat lamp on the hot end.

Do I need a heat lamp over the humid end too?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you are running a humid side/area, then yes that area needs to not fall below 80 degrees (day as well as night)...

I would not use sand in the substrate, not at all...it can get stuck in all kinds of places on a tort...nostril, eyes, folds of skin and such...

If he is acting good and eating, exercising--"business as usual" then I would not freak just yet, however---keep an eye on the tort....

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
Thanks! I wasn't feeling well myself and stayed home. I watched Cloudy a lot and didnt see anymore bubbles. He ate normal and was a lot more active today than any of the last 5 days.

I'm going to take out the sand and just stick with the other 3 substrates. I plan on buying some plexiglass tomorrow to hopefully help with the humidity. I did order a CHE to use and a new thermometer with a probe. Hopefully they come in tomorrow.

I think observing him today helped me a lot. I saw him drinking water out of his water bowl. I know it sounds silly but it made me so happy to see this.

His stools were a little loose today but I think it might be due to some cactus like plant (pachyveria) he was eating? Here's a pic of his bowel movement:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373526359.497508.jpg

I tried taking a picture of his nostrils because they look pretty clear to me but it was hard with him being so small. My phone didnt want to focus on his nose:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373526532.669266.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
look at that cute little leo!

Some warmer temps and he'll be ok.
Damp substrate from spraying and an open top is a recipe to start a UI. Since you are already working to fix that I think he'll be ok.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are you using for night heat?

I recommend against the sand. Its a big impaction risk and possible skin and eye irritant. Also an open enclosure like that is going to cause your baby to pyramid, unless the room where you keep it is 80 degrees and 80% humidity all the time.

I think reading the threads in my signature might save you some heartache in the future.

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
Tom said:
What are you using for night heat?

I recommend against the sand. Its a big impaction risk and possible skin and eye irritant. Also an open enclosure like that is going to cause your baby to pyramid, unless the room where you keep it is 80 degrees and 80% humidity all the time.

I think reading the threads in my signature might save you some heartache in the future.

Thanks Tom.

I made some modifications today to the enclosure. The first thing I did was removed the sand. I took out everything and added coco noir to the whole bottom. On the humid/cool side I put some cypress mulch over the coco noir. On the dry side I added sphagnum moss over the coco noir.

I also added an acrylic sheet over most of the top to keep it humid.

My CHE came in today and I started using that. Except I have it placed over the dry side. I couldn't find any thermometers I liked at petco so I ordered one online with a probe. Hopefully that comes in tomorrow so I can start getting more accurate readings.

Here's a pic of the enclosure without the top or CHE bulb (I have the CHE bulb in the top left corner):

ImageUploadedByTortForum1373604040.803413.jpg

Here's what it looks like with the cover:

ImageUploadedByTortForum1373604059.036748.jpg

I take him outside so I needed a cover to protect him from potential predators. I hold it down in place my putting some bricks to weight it in place.

I plan to keep him indoors all winter with a mercury vapor bulb.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1373604028.204046.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1373604028.204046.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I just sent you long email! whew!! sorry for that :p

I realized after sending it that the last picture example I gave you of my pyramiding tort isn't even a good pic. You can hardly tell. I need to take more pics of him. I have some on my phone I can show you on the 19th.

Either way, hope I can help you. There are awesome results of raising them in conditions that mimic the hot, humid and rainy season of African that they hatch into.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
I think it's nothing to worry about yet .. However if it constantly continue and you see weight loss and appetite change then I think a vet is needed
But he is one good looking tortoise!

1 dwarf hamster
2 Russian torts
5 freshwater fish

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So has there been no night heat up until now? That is likely your problem. With humidity they must be kept arm 24/7. I recommend no lower than 80 day or night.

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
Tom said:
So has there been no night heat up until now? That is likely your problem. With humidity they must be kept arm 24/7. I recommend no lower than 80 day or night.

Oops sorry. I did have a 75W bulb to add heat but it also added light. I know they need it dark at night so I had placed his cave (where he sleeps) so that the light was behind it and not visible inside the cave. The opening to the cave was on the opposite side of where the light was coming from. I got the CHE yesterday so now I don't have to worry about the light at night. The acrylic has helped with the humidity and keeping it warm but I'm going to take Team Gomberg's advice and use a tank for keeping him inside. I'll use my current set up for outside time (minus the acrylic sheet) until he gets a bit bigger.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I possibly have some tanks coming to me this weekend. If one of them is large enough I'll bring it for you on the 19th unless you get one before that.

I'll bring the picture collection I've put together of other TFO members who have converted tanks into "closed chambers". They aren't as good as the ones built with lighting inside BUT they still do a very good job for an easy to do and cheap price :D

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
Actually fake ampallo is a bad idea. Some tortoises chew on anything green or orange. One time I set out my tortoise free around the apartment. Went for a while and then found him chewing on my green blanket ?
Wish you best

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
Update:

I'm glad to say I haven't seen any more nose bubbles!!

Thank you all for your great help ESPECIALLY Heather! Little side story: I got to meet Heather at the CTTC Chino meeting on Friday. After seeing her "big" 15 month old super smooth leopard, my son is now asking if we can buy a Papa Turtle for our Cloudy lol

I got a tank (though smaller than what it should be but I guess it will do for now) and only use the cement mixing tray for when he's outside. I have a CHE that is temperature controlled and turns on when it gets below 80 degrees in the cool end. I put the basking light on a timer. This has greatly improved my temps :) I put acrylic over the top of the tank to help keep the humidity in. I have an open area where the light and CHE are, but I plan on using some aluminum to seal that up. My humidity is around 80% in the cool end but due to the open top in the warm end it's only around 50-60% there. I'm hoping when I seal the top, this will increase. The "humid method" has become an obsession for me. My husband sent me a text message the other day along the lines of "every day I see a new accessory for the turtle." I didn't reply but when he got home he saw my new thermometer/humidity monitors that had arrived that day lol. Aside from the bigger tank, I think I have all the "accessories" I wanted/needed for the indoor enclosure. Can't wait to see Cloudy grow!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
When he had the bubbles Coming out of his nose, what was he doing? Was he eating, or drinking?

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
mainey34 said:
When he had the bubbles Coming out of his nose, what was he doing? Was he eating, or drinking?

It was right after he soaked and drank some water. I only saw two little bubbles and kept watching but didn't see anymore. I haven't seen anymore since that day.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Jtort said:
mainey34 said:

It was right after he soaked and drank some water. I only saw two little bubbles and kept watching but didn't see anymore. I haven't seen anymore since that day.
Sometimes they will get bubbles after eating or drinking. If you haven't seen them any more, and there are no other symptoms i think everything is ok, but i would still keep a close on him...

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
mainey34 said:
Sometimes they will get bubbles after eating or drinking. If you haven't seen them any more, and there are no other symptoms i think everything is ok, but i would still keep a close on him...

Thanks, I didn't know that. I've been checking on him a lot and haven't seen any more. I hope it was from drinking water.

Status
Not open for further replies.