Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Would I be able to use blended pumpkin seeds as a dewormer for new tortoises? I was kind of curious... Any opinions? I can add a little water in the blender and add the seeds, then add it to the tortoise's food. The tortoises I am thinking about are Greek, which cant eat whole pumpkin seeds.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
The way that pumpkin seeds work as a de-wormer is to grind them up into a powder then sprinkle the powder over the food.
Thanks! Because I'm not sure about the tortoises in the pet industry (I don't know of a single breeder here) so I was curious. They could be WC or CB... But I bought my tortoise from a pet store so the source would be similar!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Yes, you can do that, however, the anthelmintic (de-wormer) is in the ground up seeds.
I'm so much more willing to try this several times a year than to try the medical grade de-wormers.
How effective is the pumpkin seeds method? Do we know? Are other gourds effective as well or just pumpkin?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
This is very good to know. I love this forum. Do the seeds need to be prepared in any special way, or do you just grind up fresh pumpkin seeds? This works for leopards too?

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Yes! Thank you.... I knew pumpkins were natural dewormer but was mistaken about the best delivery method!! I just fed the entire pumpkin

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
While I don't think this will hurt anything, the benefits are questionable. Meaning there are no studies that I have seen proving the effectiveness of pumpkin seeds as a dewormer.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
While I don't think this will hurt anything, the benefits are questionable. Meaning there are no studies that I have seen proving the effectiveness of pumpkin seeds as a dewormer.

Agreed, and as I said on the other thread, dosages have not been established for tortoises or humans.
Better to stick to panacur for routine worming but pumpkins still a good treat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In reference to Yvonne's posted links:
This is from the second link above:
"Given their safety, they are often recommended as an addition to other, more reliable therapies."

This is what I'm talking about. It seems to be more of a "folk" remedy than a proven medical dewormer. The ostrich study was fairly compelling, although it should be noted that the parasite load was "reduced", not eliminated.

The third study demonstrates that papaya seeds are even more effective than pumpkin against earthworms. I'd rather see what they do to active intestinal parasites personally.

Thank you for the links Yvonne. This is the first time I have seen any sort of study on this.

Last edited:

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I'm starting to think melon seeds can be used as a "de-wormer" every few months... Since I believe deworming medication is too strong for regular use, am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.