Bladder Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I read somewhere that tort's can get bladder stones. Does anyone know what they look like, what causes them?
I'm asking because I think my tort may have passed a couple. I found a small pebble in her enclosure. It almost looks crystal like. Any info on these?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
They are usually more chalk like Liz, usually whitish but can be more brown.
I'll take a picture of mine and post it ;):D

Danny

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Danny

The first one I found was more whitish and then I found one today that was brown. I'm pretty sure that's what they are. I have no other explanation as to how they got in her enclosure. I also noticed she's been more lethargic than usual the past two days. Is this a result of too much calcium?
I tried to take a pic to post but its so tiny (seems big for her!) but I can't get a good shot.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Wow, I wonder?
I got a call at work,(vets)from someone whose Bearded dragon passed what looked like a stone, but when she broke it open it looked like chalk. I wonder???
That's why it pays to read all the posts, even if you think it has nothing to do with you...
Na

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Im sorry but I'm not understanding your post Nay.
I do read all the posts, in all the sections. Most of them don't pertain to me because I only have one Sulcata. But I read them anyway.
What is it that you mean by "you wonder"?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Here's the stone. It came from a 3 inch Egyptian tortoise. ;)
bladderstone1.jpg

It's actually urates in stone form. It comes from getting dehydrated.

Danny

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the pic Danny. Hmmm mine looks nothing like that. I can't believe that came from such a tiny tort!!

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Coldliz said:
I can't believe that came from such a tiny tort!!

my thoughts exactly, wow!

so urates are pretty normal, it's when they "turn to stone" that we should worry about, right?

S

stells

Urates are fine as long as they are of a creamy consistancy if they are gritty then more hydration is needed the only way to tell is to have a feel of them ;)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
stells said:
Urates are fine as long as they are of a creamy consistancy if they are gritty then more hydration is needed the only way to tell is to have a feel of them ;)

Hi Coldliz,
I didn't mean to confuse anyone. I was just stating that by looking at other posts even if I think they don't apply to me, you can learn something(DUH!!!)
And the reference was because no one even thought of bladder stones in this particular Beardie, food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.