Bladder Stone prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
My Sulcata urinates uric acid (toothpaste like) once every 2 days, does it mean it's safe from getting bladder stone? Because several of my friends' Sulcatas got bladder stones even if they urinated uric acid regularly. Strange! And I am afraid now.

Also, my Leopard never urinates uric acid, only yellow pee. Is this normal? Because my friends told me Leopard never get uric acid.

Thanks to all you replies to help me. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sebastion:

If you provide your tortoise with fresh drinking water at all times and don't offer foods high in oxalates very often, chances are pretty good he won't get bladder stones.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hydration is key......my CDTs when they first come out of brumation have a little urates. As about 3-4 weeks pass their urine becomes much better...urates essentially stop and becomes clear regular urine.....and remain that way through the rest of the tortoise season.....if you offer water and also soak your tortoise you will aid in his hydration and to flush him out properly.....IMHO :D

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
When you say it's like toothpaste, do you mean it's gritty? If so, you should try soaking him more.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
Thank you all, so HYDRATION is key, thank you!!!

Also, what food I should avoid? Spinach? Many tortoise food have oxalates, like vegetables and especially grasses!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.