Blackish spots...

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham, alabama
Hi all! My russian Vova has a new enclosure, new lamps, and began eating again - though alas only romaine lettuce, and believe me I tried everything and withheld the romaine, but then he dos not eat at all.

So I gave up, went back to Romaine but offer other greens too, I have basking heat and UV 14 hours a day available, temp is about 90 but up to 100, he seems fine except I noticed those black uneven spots on his neck.
Fungal? Yeast?

What do I do - I will take him to be looked at, but need your advice...

THANKS!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can you post a picture showing the spots so we can see what you're talking about?

A hint about the food. Do you have a blender? Put three or four leaves of romaine in a blender and run it until you have romaine juice/mush. Chop up some endive, escarole, turnip greens, collard greens, dandelion greens - any of the dark leafy greens that you have available, even weeds. Chop it up into tiny pieces. Put it in a bowl and add the romaine juice/mush. Stir it up and mix it all up real good, so all the greens are coated with the romaine.

Birmingham, alabama
Can you post a picture showing the spots so we can see what you're talking about?

A hint about the food. Do you have a blender? Put three or four leaves of romaine in a blender and run it until you have romaine juice/mush. Chop up some endive, escarole, turnip greens, collard greens, dandelion greens - any of the dark leafy greens that you have available, even weeds. Chop it up into tiny pieces. Put it in a bowl and add the romaine juice/mush. Stir it up and mix it all up real good, so all the greens are coated with the romaine.

great idea, will try tomorrow ( he already ate his romaine today and retreated to his hide, I don't want to bug him. ).

i will try a picture - his head would need to be way out. they are irregular black spots on his beautiful green neck. they were not there before, I am positive.
Thanks!

Birmingham, alabama

A hint about the food. Do you have a blender? Put three or four leaves of romaine in a blender and run it until you have romaine juice/mush. Chop up some endive, escarole, turnip greens, collard greens, dandelion greens - any of the dark leafy greens that you have available, even weeds. Cho

p it up into tiny pieces. Put it in a bowl and add the romaine juice/mush. Stir it up and mix it all up real good, so all the greens are coated with the romaine.
No go, alas. but he is eating another kind of salad now.