Black water tank for mud/musk turtles?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Has anyone ever kept their mud/musk turtle in a black water tank?
Do you think that would more resemble their natural environment?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you might need to define what you mean by "black water tank". Some friends recently bought a travel trailer, and I would NOT want to keep a turtle in the "black water tank". Nor the gray water tank either... The potable water tank would be fine for the turtle, but then it wouldn't be potable water any more...

:)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Has anyone ever kept their mud/musk turtle in a black water tank?
Do you think that would more resemble their natural environment?
I'm curious... Is there an underlying reason you're asking? :)

Some of have to deal with brown water turtle tanks from time to time...which usually means we're overdue for needing to clean out the filter. :rolleyes: ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm curious... Is there an underlying reason you're asking? :)

Some of have to deal with brown water turtle tanks from time to time...which usually means we're overdue for needing to clean out the filter. :rolleyes: ?
I have used black hard rubber horse troughs, to plant stuff, or to keep hatchlings outside. To keep water turtles they are great, I have several

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
At first I was assuming she was talking brackish, IE with some salt content?

But then everyone's friend google came into play..

Sounds pretty cool..
-Meg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
As noted in the excerpt that Pistachio's Pamperer shared, it is a specific type of biotope.
The intention is to mimic a natural freshwater stream/creek. It typically has a sandy bottom and lots of wood and dead leaves that release tannins, coloring the water brownish but still transparent. You still use a filter, of course, and the water is kept just as clean as with any turtle tank. I would have live marginal plants just like the ones I have now: roots below the water and leaves above- for comfort and places to hide, etc.

In answer to Pastel Tortie, I am pondering major changes to Nelson or Millie's tank- I haven't decided which yet- which will include upgrading from a 40 gallon breeder to a 75 gallon. I like to have the most natural look possible for them. Both Nelson and Millie are native to our region and most of our slower moving creeks and bayous are "black" water, ie, the water is clear but stained brown due to tannins released from the abundant plant growth.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Although, now that I think about it, the bigger question might be whether "soft" slightly acidic water is best for my turtles.
Anyone have experience or ideas on soft acidic water for pet turtles?

YO! @Markw84 @Toddrickfl1 @enchilada

Reactions: Tom

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
tannins supposedly have antifungal and antibacterial properties ........ in the fall my ponds turn amber colored from all the oak leaves ....... i've used dead wood , leaves and sphagnum moss in my tanks and ponds forever ....... i made soft acidic water for twistneck turtles , i got them with shell infection , it was tough to completely clear up , the "blackwater" seemed to help .........

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
tannins supposedly have antifungal and antibacterial properties ........ in the fall my ponds turn amber colored from all the oak leaves ....... i've used dead wood , leaves and sphagnum moss in my tanks and ponds forever ....... i made soft acidic water for twistneck turtles , i got them with shell infection , it was tough to completely clear up , the "blackwater" seemed to help .........
Cool!
THANKS, Mark1!!! :)?