Black spot on undershell

Mooney112

Location (City and/or State)
exeter
I got my young sul tortoise. He/she seems to have these sort of black spot/ scab type thing on the undershell. It's slightly softer than the rest of the shell so I am slightly concerned. I can't find any info on it. It seems to be doing well so far. has good energy eats pretty well, rest of the shell is great but I am worried this might be an issue further down the line. I keep him in a big tortoise table with 3 substitutes (sand, straw & coco soil) I always feed on the soil never the sand. Any help / tips would be most welcome20210419_151107.jpg20210419_151101.jpg20210419_151110.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I got my young sul tortoise. He/she seems to have these sort of black spot/ scab type thing on the undershell. It's slightly softer than the rest of the shell so I am slightly concerned. I can't find any info on it. It seems to be doing well so far. has good energy eats pretty well, rest of the shell is great but I am worried this might be an issue further down the line. I keep him in a big tortoise table with 3 substitutes (sand, straw & coco soil) I always feed on the soil never the sand. Any help / tips would be most welcomeView attachment 323456View attachment 323457View attachment 323458
Where did you get this tortoise? That's the scab from the egg sac but it doesn't look like it's healing correctly. This tortoise should not have been sold like this. Shame on that breeder.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That might just be where the yolk was attached while the baby was in the egg. Wash off the sand then dab on a bit of Vaseline to keep it moist and help it heal. And, speaking of sand: Do you see how all those little grains of sand are clinging to the tortoise and to your fingers? It also clings to the food the baby is eating. Sand is a very great impaction risk. If it were my tortoise I would get rid of that sand immediately and buy some fir bark instead (Orchid bark, Repti-bark, Forest bark).

Mooney112

exeter
Where did you get this tortoise? That's the scab from the egg sac but it doesn't look like it's healing correctly. This tortoise should not have been sold like this. Shame on that breeder.
Yeah it was from a private breeder who had various tortoises and seems really nice. But I am now really disappointed my little one has an issue. Is there anything I can do to help it speed recovery? more calcium, remove the sand? maybe some type of healing balm ?

Mooney112

exeter
That might just be where the yolk was attached while the baby was in the egg. Wash off the sand then dab on a bit of Vaseline to keep it moist and help it heal. And, speaking of sand: Do you see how all those little grains of sand are clinging to the tortoise and to your fingers? It also clings to the food the baby is eating. Sand is a very great impaction risk. If it were my tortoise I would get rid of that sand immediately and buy some fir bark instead (Orchid bark, Repti-bark, Forest bark).
Thanks Yvonne, yeah i always feed on the soil but I think your right and should get rid of the sand altogether. when I was doing research alot of people said sand was great as long as you didnt feed on it and others saying don't do it so I wasn't sure which is right.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Thanks Yvonne, yeah i always feed on the soil but I think your right and should get rid of the sand altogether. when I was doing research alot of people said sand was great as long as you didnt feed on it and others saying don't do it so I wasn't sure which is right.

Sand is a definite no no, a lot of people will tell you completely wrong info, be very careful what you listen to, pet stores and most breeders are not good sources for info, often Vets are not either.

For substrate you should be using fir bark or coco coir only, no soil, sand, rocks, pearlite, etc. . . And definately dont use the Tortoise Substrate all the pet stores sell, its not fit for purpose.

The Best Way To Raise A Sulcata, Leopard, Or Star Tortoise | Tortoise Forum - Read this, it is the correct info, ignore those who contradict what you see here, they are leading you astray.