Black rats snakes first feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
The babies had their first feeding today. All nine of them ate at least one pinky, snakes 7 and 8 both had 2 pinkies and were looking for more lol. I was going to feed Rufus and his daughter Diamond again today, but they're still in a food coma from last time.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I could only take pics of fat bellies now, I didn't think I should take pictures of the actual feeding... people already don't like snakes and to see them eating baby mice may not be good for the squeamish...

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Of what? Fat babies? I have a few of Rufus the snow corn snake but they aren't very clear, he's modest and camera shy, my sweet little Rufus. I can take a few of fat babies real quick, 8 and 9 are in food comas so that won't be hard. They took to feeding like ravenous beasts. 7 and 3 took a little coaxing though but all in all I think they will be good feeders. I had a few in my corn snake clutches before that I literally had to stuff the thing down their throats before they got started eating.

this is 5
Picture281.jpg

5's belly bump
Picture282.jpg

This is 9.
Picture283.jpg

Picture284.jpg

Picture285.jpg

Picture286.jpg

You can see (I'm pretty sure they're all girls) her belly bump in the loop furthest to the left. They are each housed in plastic tubs with ventilation holes and aspen substrate. 8 and 9 are together but the others are all housed singly. I'm just really lacking in space right now but they seem pretty content to just hang out and and digest for now. They were kept on moist paper towels until they each had their first shed.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Weda737 said:
people already don't like snakes and to see them eating baby mice may not be good for the squeamish...

Hahahah ain't that the truth.

My girlfriend screamed when she saw the white hopper as clear as day at the glass doors of the cerastes cage and clung to me like a giant binder clip. Then cried later when she saw the other hoppers fattening up on fresh grass in a holding cage. Can't win. Opaque lab cage on the way.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
webskipper said:
Weda737 said:
people already don't like snakes and to see them eating baby mice may not be good for the squeamish...

Hahahah ain't that the truth.

My girlfriend screamed when she saw the white hopper as clear as day at the glass doors of the cerastes cage and clung to me like a giant binder clip. Then cried later when she saw the other hoppers fattening up on fresh grass in a holding cage. Can't win. Opaque lab cage on the way.

As terrible as that is, it's kind of funny. I can't kill the older mice, I make my fiance do it, he doesn't mind. I always feed prekilled, except pinkies, I think they are better, nutritionally, fresh, they are harmless and difficult to kill as well so my snakes just eat them like m&m's. I wish I could take my snakes with me when I go out, but I'm afraid some old lady would just fall over dead and I'd be in trouble.

wait... You have VIPERS?!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
SO cute! Thanks for sharing pics.

I try to refrain from feeding pics, too, outside of snake-oriented forums. People get too up-in-arms about seeing the snake in the actual process of eating (not to mention the posts that just state some variation of "EW!" or "that's disgusting!"). It just upsets me too much when people make such a big deal out of it. I don't call your cats nasty and awful, and I don't go ranting at you when they go out killing native wildlife. So why do you do it to me and my snakes??? ... Er, sorry, guess I got a little carried away, LOL.

Anyway, again, thanks for sharing the pics, and congrats on getting them all to eat the first try! I love how piggy corn and rat snakes are. Takes hardly any effort to get them eating. I've hatched snakes only once, a clutch of corns, and had... I think it was 8 or 9, out of 10 healthy hatchlings, take frozen/thaw pinks on the very first try. The other 1 or 2 just needed one live feeding to figure out "Hey! That smelly pink thing IS food!" (I personally stick with frozen/thaw where possible. I have yet to see any evidence, scientific or otherwise, that freezing does significant damage to nutrition, so that's just what I stick with. Plus, it's nice when you can just load up the freezer and always have the right size on hand. :))

Status
Not open for further replies.