Black Marginated? - Question for Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Hi Everyone,

I recently came across someone who has a pair of black marginated, I had never seen all black one's before. Danny can you tell me what subspecies these are?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Black Margianted.jpg
    Black Margianted.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 129

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
They are just black Testudo marginata. No one right now is recognising subspecies on the marginateds. Most do get fairly black, but these may actually be melanistic.
Very nice :)

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
techiegrl, they are beautiful. I had never seen black ones before. Any chance you may pick them up?

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Hey Robyn I sure wish. He does breed them I am hoping next year to pick up a hatchling or two depending on how much they go for. I had never seen black ones before, I searched on line for pictures but nothing came up at all. He said he gets lots of interest.

Thanks Danny for the info just surprised me when I got the pictures as I have never seen black one's only the tan and brown colored ones. :)

Janet

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
techiegrl,

I had an adult pair of black Marginated tortoises many years ago. Both parents were completely dark black like those in the photo that you posted. The babies that mine produced were not born black (or even darker). They looked "normal" in every way. I have one of the offspring here from that pair that is now going on 10 years old and she still looks like an average Marginated. Just letting you know.

[email protected]

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
I've never seen one quite like those either.
Most marginatas turn black with age, but those guys aren't very old.

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Interesting GB thanks for posting, you just don't see any black one's around.

Status
Not open for further replies.