Black Gold Orchid Bark?

thejindodog

Location (City and/or State)
California
Has anyone used this brand before? https://www.acehardware.com/departm...nb40Jk5GP-M3hUtcG0zFf-3Tkem88btAaAlilEALw_wcB

I just inherited a yearling Hermann's from a friend who had to move, but she was keeping him on sand and 'm having trouble finding Orchid Bark in stores near me. Wondering if the above brand is safe/appropriate to use?

If not, I would really appreciate any links or names of brands that you all use. Want to be extra safe before I change out her substrate. Thank you so much!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You'll need to read the ingredients list and make sure there are no additives. If not, then it should be fine.

The other detail to look at is the size of the particles. You want fine grade. Medium might be too big.

I use this one from my local nursery here in SoCal:
Orchid Bark.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
T
Has anyone used this brand before? https://www.acehardware.com/departm...nb40Jk5GP-M3hUtcG0zFf-3Tkem88btAaAlilEALw_wcB

I just inherited a yearling Hermann's from a friend who had to move, but she was keeping him on sand and 'm having trouble finding Orchid Bark in stores near me. Wondering if the above brand is safe/appropriate to use?

If not, I would really appreciate any links or names of brands that you all use. Want to be extra safe before I change out her substrate. Thank you so much!!
That's the brand I used for YEARS!!! It's great stuff. In my opinion, it's better than the bark Tom buys because it's packaged strictly for orchids. Orchids are sensitive plants and so they package clean bark for them. Not pesticides, herbicides or any dirty other additives. Strictly PURE fir bark. If I could still get that here in my town, I'd buy a whole pallet of it! Good stuff!!!