Bixi Update with pics! 6.30.18

Bixi

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis, Tn
I try to post 3 month updates on Bixi, but it has been a while! I think it is about 6 months since my last update post.

Bixi is doing great, and her shell growth is consistent (if not perfectly smooth). I have been working a lot with her this summer. She knows that "Come'ere" (ie. "Come here") means I am going to pick her up and she tucks halfway into her shell and waits for me to move her when I say it. She also is learning that "BIXI NO" means I want her to stop trying to eat whatever she is eating... I have accompanied that verbal command with 2 strong taps on the rear of her carapace. She is starting to respond to the verbal command, but not nearly 100% of the time. She still tries to eat small white rocks and other small shiny things... I have to be a helicopter dad when I take her out. This is why I am working on that command for her.

She was a bit hand-shy when she was younger, and that is completely gone now. She will happily eat from my hand and let me pat/stroke her while she roams/eats. She also isn't afraid of my shadow as long as she hears my voice. She is also OK with being carried at waist height for short distances. So, on the handling front she is doing EXTREMELY well and I am super happy with her progress.

She is getting more sun and fresh grass than ever. She tends to destroy clover patches and avoid regular grass, but she does mix it in, too. She is getting at least half an hour of outside time 2-3 times a week; usually more depending on the weather.

Recently, she pushed her water dish out from the corner of the cage and climbed up into the folded plastic liner in the corner of her cage. I have a pic of that below. She was basically a ninja turtle that day. I made sure she wasn't stuck, and she seemed content in that position... it was odd and really funny! o_O

Pics! (Sorry, some of these looked better on my phone)

IuCbtiK.jpg

IyYqE5W.jpg
zMH3Js7.jpg

gfWxl9f

Last edited:
Location (City and/or State)
Port St Lucie, FL
She appears to look like the baby Gopher tortoises I had before I found out what they were. What breed is Bixi. My tortoise understands the giant crane picks her up every day after announcing giant crane! She never ducks in.