Bixi Health (pics)

Bixi

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis, Tn
Hey guys,

Here are pics of Bixi: http://imgur.com/a/jfuOS

Bixi is a ~6 month old Sulcata (as of 6/27/17) and her food intake has increased by almost double recently. I moved her into a much larger enclosure a few weeks ago, and she finished her last dose of antibiotics for a respiratory infection recently. I posted a similar thread in the diet forums, and people seem to think that she is ok and everything is normal. I do, however, have a new concern.

Bixi's shell has experienced some pyramiding during her time on antibiotics. During the early part of her antibiotic treatment I drastically lowered her humidity and increased her temps per the veterinarian's suggestion. I have since (5 weeks ago?) increased her humidity by a large amount. It is difficult to tell if her new shell growth is still pyramiding. Some of her shell growth is definitely not smooth, but other parts appear to be smoothing out.

Bixi is not showing signs of metabolic bone disease, and she seems healthy and active in her environment. My humidity gauges suggest ~70% humidity. She has regular access to multiple micro-climates, including temps/humidity and UV radiation. She has a large water dish to soak in (see pics) and she poops in that dish daily.

Bixi eats mostly Zoomed grassland tortoise food (https://zoomed.com/natural-grassland-tortoise-food/). I cut up the chunks of food into smaller softer pieces for her daily. She also gets some (Kaytee brand) Timothy hay, and she gets a large pinch of romaine lettuce roughly twice a week. Both of those food types are supplemented with a small amount of Zoomed vitamin D calcium powder (She gets a light sprinkle on top).

I am not "overall" worried about her health, but I want her to have optimal growth and comfort. If I can provide increases in these things for her, then I want to do that. I know time in natural sunlight (outside) is good for her, and currently it is difficult for me to provide that for her on a regular basis.

My main question is: If a Sulcata has rough growth (or pyramiding) previously, then how long should it take for that growth to smooth out? This is, of course, assuming she has a proper environment and diet...

Bixi is definitely growing. Her new shell growth is not noticeably pyramided, however, it is difficult to tell if the new growth is pyramided because the old growth is a bit rough...

I am probably just an over-worried parent. As I stated previously, she seems very healthy and happy. Her new enclosure provides plenty of access to micro-climates, high temps, food, soaking, and interesting terrain. If I had to guess, I would say it appears that her shell is smoothing out... I just want to make sure that there is not something I am missing or doing improperly.

Thanks guys.

Burke

p.s. - search "bixi" on this site to see all of her old pictures and threads. ;)

Bixi

Memphis, Tn
Hey guys,

Here are pics of Bixi: http://imgur.com/a/jfuOS

Bixi is a ~6 month old Sulcata (as of 6/27/17) and her food intake has increased by almost double recently. I moved her into a much larger enclosure a few weeks ago, and she finished her last dose of antibiotics for a respiratory infection recently. I posted a similar thread in the diet forums, and people seem to think that she is ok and everything is normal. I do, however, have a new concern.

Bixi's shell has experienced some pyramiding during her time on antibiotics. During the early part of her antibiotic treatment I drastically lowered her humidity and increased her temps per the veterinarian's suggestion. I have since (5 weeks ago?) increased her humidity by a large amount. It is difficult to tell if her new shell growth is still pyramiding. Some of her shell growth is definitely not smooth, but other parts appear to be smoothing out.

Bixi is not showing signs of metabolic bone disease, and she seems healthy and active in her environment. My humidity gauges suggest ~70% humidity. She has regular access to multiple micro-climates, including temps/humidity and UV radiation. She has a large water dish to soak in (see pics) and she poops in that dish daily.

Bixi eats mostly Zoomed grassland tortoise food (https://zoomed.com/natural-grassland-tortoise-food/). I cut up the chunks of food into smaller softer pieces for her daily. She also gets some (Kaytee brand) Timothy hay, and she gets a large pinch of romaine lettuce roughly twice a week. Both of those food types are supplemented with a small amount of Zoomed vitamin D calcium powder (She gets a light sprinkle on top).

I am not "overall" worried about her health, but I want her to have optimal growth and comfort. If I can provide increases in these things for her, then I want to do that. I know time in natural sunlight (outside) is good for her, and currently it is difficult for me to provide that for her on a regular basis.

My main question is: If a Sulcata has rough growth (or pyramiding) previously, then how long should it take for that growth to smooth out? This is, of course, assuming she has a proper environment and diet...

Bixi is definitely growing. Her new shell growth is not noticeably pyramided, however, it is difficult to tell if the new growth is pyramided because the old growth is a bit rough...

I am probably just an over-worried parent. As I stated previously, she seems very healthy and happy. Her new enclosure provides plenty of access to micro-climates, high temps, food, soaking, and interesting terrain. If I had to guess, I would say it appears that her shell is smoothing out... I just want to make sure that there is not something I am missing or doing improperly.

Thanks guys.

Burke

p.s. - search "bixi" on this site to see all of her old pictures and threads. ;)

p.p.s. - Another thing thing I have noticed is that Bixi comes out of ANY hide that she is currently inside if I heavily mist the cage. Do you guys thing this is instinctive behavior to avoid drowning inside a burrow? That is my guess! Lemme know what you think or what you have experienced. Thanks!

Edit: Sorry... this was meant to be an edit to the original post, not a new post... doh...

Bee62

Germany
Hello Burke,

don`t worry when your Bixi got a slightly pyramided shell.
He or she is still growing and with this growth the pyramiding will be getting smother and smother. No need to be worried.
I would feed her more fresh greens ( every day ) like any sort of gras, weeds or lambs lettuce and chicoree. More humidity even from the food will be good for your tortoise. I would also soak the grassland Zoomed pellets for her before feeding.

Unfortunately the VET gave you the wrong information to decrease the humidity. If you increase both: warmth and humidity day and night, it`ll never be a fault ( and you prevent pyramiding ).
But I think you`re on the right track now with your tortoise. You`re not overworried: Better safe than sorry.;)

Do you soak her ?

And yes, it is a natural instinct to get out of the hide or burrow if it`s "raining". Tortoises know that they are in danger to drown. In their natural habitat sometimes it rains in short time so much that a burrow could be flood.

Sabine

Last edited:

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I don't know that it was the wrong information from the vet since he was sick. We always here recommend increasing temperatures and decreasing humidity isn't going to be a big deal while he's sick. But now that he's better again Humidity need to go up in order for the smooth growth to continue.
The big issue to stop the respiratory infection from happening again is to make sure that EVERY SINGLE INCH of his enclosure is 80 degrees or higher at all times. Since he's still recovering I will make that 85. But humidity needs to go up to where you had it before he got sick again since he's better.

Sometimes it's the thermometer/hygrometer that was the culprit all along. What are you using to check your temperatures in all the little nooks and crannies of his enclosure? I'll attach a picture of the digital thermometer hygrometer that I like to use. I get a couple of them and throw the probes around inside the enclosure and just leave them.

Outside time only needs to be a half an hour a couple times a week. And the calcium supplements don't need to be applied at every meal. Twice a week or so should do it. It could cause him to go off his food because it doesn't really taste that good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 5