Biting hermann ?

jane443

I’ve had my 10 yr old boy since he was tiny. He lives in my enclosed garden and is a happy, healthy boy!!
this last few weeks he has taken to chasing anyone (including my 3yr old granddaughter) but moreso me. He attacks my feet as if to take a chunk out of them.
I don’t know what to do as can’t go out into the garden now in fear of being bitten
Please help!!!
jane

zovick

10 Year Member!
Are you possibly going out with bare feet or open toed shoes and with painted toenails? I had a tortoise once which always went after my daughter's colorful nails. If she wore footwear which prevented the tortoise from seeing her toes, she was fine.

If it isn't the above problem, I would recommend wearing a sturdy shoe or sneaker and just let the tortoise bite at that if he still seems to be in attack mode. My opinion is that after a day or two of getting no reaction from you, he may give up on this behavior and try something else, hopefully less bothersome.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
I think he has just come of age and is now an adult male hormone filled tortoise that is defending his territory. Not much you can do to stop the biting, maybe get some females for him?

jane443

Are you possibly going out with bare feet or open toed shoes and with painted toenails? I had a tortoise once which always went after my daughter's colorful nails. If she wore footwear which prevented the tortoise from seeing her toes, she was fine.

If it isn't the above problem, I would recommend wearing a sturdy shoe or sneaker and just let the tortoise bite at that if he still seems to be in attack mode. My opinion is that after a day or two of getting no reaction from you, he may give up on this behavior and try something else, hopefully less bothersome.
Everyone with exposed feet he takes a chunk from. Runs like the wind too to get you!!!!
I’m worried about my grandchildren playing and don’t really want to enclose him in a small area as he’s been used to freedom and up till now, has been so friendly.
woukd it be his male maturity. Should I get him a female or would that Just cause more issues
Love my boy ?

Kim&Tim

Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Everyone with exposed feet he takes a chunk from. Runs like the wind too to get you!!!!
I’m worried about my grandchildren playing and don’t really want to enclose him in a small area as he’s been used to freedom and up till now, has been so friendly.
woukd it be his male maturity. Should I get him a female or would that Just cause more issues
Love my boy ?
Do not get him a female! He would abuse the hell out of her and she would prob have a horrible life. Tortoises don't do well in pairs. A group of females could work because he can spread his lusts on all of them. It could also not work and then you would need to separate them. I don't think that this is what you want.

Personally I don't like the 'spreading the abuse on several females' idea. It's my personal opinion. In the wild the females can move on and in captivity they can't, it will be their turn, only less frequent. I find that horrible tbh, but again that's my personal opnion. It would be like me and 5 other women in a house with a guy who can do whatever he wants. Instead of it being my turn twice a day, it would be every other day. Again my personal opinion. This would not happen to female tortoises in the wild, they can leave and hide or whatever.

I grew up with a testudo graeca graeca male. He would bite toes etc, but mainly in the spring, he would settle after that. I know you don't want to put him in a smaller fenced off area, but I think you'll have too. Fence off a part of your garden for him.

jane443

Do not get him a female! He would abuse the hell out of her and she would prob have a horrible life. Tortoises don't do well in pairs. A group of females could work because he can spread his lusts on all of them. It could also not work and then you would need to separate them. I don't think that this is what you want.

Personally I don't like the 'spreading the abuse on several females' idea. It's my personal opinion. In the wild the females can move on and in captivity they can't, it will be their turn, only less frequent. I find that horrible tbh, but again that's my personal opnion. It would be like me and 5 other women in a house with a guy who can do whatever he wants. Instead of it being my turn twice a day, it would be every other day. Again my personal opinion. This would not happen to female tortoises in the wild, they can leave and hide or whatever.

I grew up with a testudo graeca graeca male. He would bite toes etc, but mainly in the spring, he would settle after that. I know you don't want to put him in a smaller fenced off area, but I think you'll have too. Fence off a part of your garden for him.
Thank you for the great advice
No I Didn’t want to get another tortoise so I’m pleased this option is out
I’ve also noticed he’s biting his own leg. Very strange fella!!