bit of help please !

maddie.hawks

Location (City and/or State)
Hampton, London
hello! maddie here
my nan recently passed away and she had titch (her tortoise) for 50 years and i have now inherited him almost two months ago. he was rescued by my nan as she had many tortoises in her life! i was just wondering whether any of you knew what breed he is? also, as we have never had a tortoise before, we made a nice large enclosure for him in the garden, and he is out a lot during the day and he’s loving the hot weather (i think). however, after we have a few hours outside the enclosure i pick him up and go to put him in his enclosure, he is quite reluctant and tries to stop going in there and moves his legs a lot and tries to wriggle out my hands! i’m not sure what this means, but despite this i have seen lots of things on line that shows they like and recognise their owner and he is showing those signs and he runs towards me if i’m in a different place to him in the garden. i am just a bit worried that he’s not happy! he is eating lots of food though, he actually has lots of dandelions (maybe 40) a day as we have hundreds, not sure if that’s too many! if anyone could tell me what breed he is, whether he’s happy and if he’s got the right amohnt of food it would help me so so much!
from maddie

595458AB-A7E2-47E3-A01B-B4DC985DA495.jpeg

Reactions: Ink

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We'll need to see the bottom shell and back legs in order to know Titch's species. He's either a Greek or a Hermanns.

Did he live outside at Nana's house? It's hard for an outdoor tortoise to acclimate to living indoors. Any reason you can't leave him outside?

maddie.hawks

Hampton, London
hi, i’m so happy you replied i’m jumping around, he is outside we made an outside enclosure i will attach a picture if it right now ! i will also send a picture of his legs and bottom of his shell! my dad has just said that for 50 years they’ve thought titch was a boy but he said they don’t actually know that’s just what they thought because of his tail length! thankyou so much for replying !!!!!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Reactions: Ink

maddie.hawks

Hampton, London
We'll need to see the bottom shell and back legs in order to know Titch's species. He's either a Greek or a Hermanns.

Did he live outside at Nana's house? It's hard for an outdoor tortoise to acclimate to living indoors. Any reason you can't leave him outside?

hi i have send a new message below !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think I do see a spur on his back right thigh, so he's probably a male Greek tortoise.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thats a great looking old tortoise. Sorry to hear the news on your Nan, but you can take good care of her tort for a long time. You’ve made him a really nice little enclosure. Let him eat as much as he wants!

L

LasTortugasNinja

Careful with the ivy coming out from the fence. A lot of ivy can cause issues with animals eating it. try to verify the species before letting the tort nibble on it.

maddie.hawks

Hampton, London
Thats a great looking old tortoise. Sorry to hear the news on your Nan, but you can take good care of her tort for a long time. You’ve made him a really nice little enclosure. Let him eat as much as he wants!
thankyou means so much and that’s great i was worried it wast enough!!