Birds in Habitat

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
What's with birds fascination with my Russian tortoise? He is now in his outdoor habitat for the summer and Mocking birds and black birds (the aggressive ones) are sitting on the fence and fussing at him, even when he is asleep in a clay pot. What's with this?
Is there any chance they could harm him?
In my mind's eye, I can see them pecking into his shell to get at him. Am I being an overly protective mother? Is it just this time of the year when nests are full that the birds are more nervous?
Covering the area would be difficult - there is a tree growing in the middle.Digger's run 08.jpg

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
There is a bird bath in a flower bed about 10 yards away. Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to keep it clean and full.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would worry too, although I don't think small birds can hurt him. I would put a large net over the tree and our to the fence. I like your enclosure. It is very pretty.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
What a lovely yard!
Birds never go out of their way to gaggle at the torts here...
Maybe they like the tree in the middle?
Very nice space for him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think small birds will be a problem. I would keep an eye out and if they do seem to be bothering him, you could get netting and place it over most of the enclosure, putting it around the tree or on each side of the tree.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
So I am really stressing over covering my Russian enclosure, with magpies and crows being the main concern. Should I be that worried?

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Thanks for all the input everyone! ;)
I will keep an eye out. No crows or magpies here but we do have blackbirds and mockingbirds which can get aggressive. They are getting in the pen on the ground and dive at it as they fly over. I cannot tell that there is anything there they are interested in; they are only interested when he is in the enclosure. If nothing else, this is interesting. o_O Maybe I will actually learn something new.
This is the second year for turtle run and it is growing more weeds and grass - need an updated photo. I really enjoy getting to work in the yard (Even though I do not know anything about gardening, I like to dig, prune and plant.).:cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you given the tree a real close inspection? I'm thinking the birds have a nest in the tree. This is the time of year the mocking birds are dive bombing my cats because the babies are about to fledge. It's probably something like that.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Nope, no nests. They just get in there and walk around. They drink from the water dish and sit - like they are having a social. The bird bath in the yard is clean and full. They are not interested in the habitat if Digger is in the house; only when he is in the habitat. It is a quandary.
If Digger is walking in the yard, they gather on the pone wires over head and fuss. I think it is all curiosity. ???? :rolleyes:
As long as there doesn't seem to be an issue, I wash their droppings from the stones and wait to see. :cool: