Bioactive Enclosures

Say

Location (City and/or State)
Southeastern, USA
In my research, I have come across a few articles and posts regarding having a bioactive enclosure.

My question is this: is a bioactive enclosure safe for hatchlings, or is there a waiting period before you should have isopods/live plants in with them?
In this case, captive bred hatchlings and bugs alike, not wild caught. I have found no real "cons" to having them in the enclosure beyond having to replace some of the critters if you have an omnivorous species such as Redfoots.

If you keep a bioactive enclosure I would love to hear from you; how you set it up, what age, what species, pros/cons, etc!

Side note: In my usually fantastic weather, I would be able to keep my (future) torts outside during much of the year, but I would still like to have a bioactive indoor enclosure available for them during cold nights/bad weather/winter time.

AmberD

Ontario
I don't have a bioactive myself, though I do have live plants in with my 6 month old redfoot. It is more natural for them and helps hold humidity as well as hiding spots, as long as they are safe if nibbled, definitely no con's. What type of tortoise do you have? Redfoots can have protein so if they eat the bugs that's fine but I'm not sure if others can. Hopefully someone can clarify that for you and me! :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. I always think about things as they would be in the torts "native/natural" environment. It's hot, rainy, bugs, worms, dry, droughts, sandy, windy, humid or not, etc. I'm sure creating a "bioactive" enclosure will be just fine. Taking care of the right heat, humidity, lighting, food, supplements, water....etc. is all part of you, the caretakers, responsibility. So bioactive is a go!

Ps, here is a pix of our Sully's bioactive soaking this afternoon.

image.jpeg

Say

Southeastern, USA
I don't have a bioactive myself, though I do have live plants in with my 6 month old redfoot. It is more natural for them and helps hold humidity as well as hiding spots, as long as they are safe if nibbled, definitely no con's. What type of tortoise do you have? Redfoots can have protein so if they eat the bugs that's fine but I'm not sure if others can. Hopefully someone can clarify that for you and me! :)

I actually do not own one yet! I'm in that process of making a final decision on species and then building the enclosure after I do so.

Greetings. I always think about things as they would be in the torts "native/natural" environment. It's hot, rainy, bugs, worms, dry, droughts, sandy, windy, humid or not, etc. I'm sure creating a "bioactive" enclosure will be just fine. Taking care of the right heat, humidity, lighting, food, supplements, water....etc. is all part of you, the caretakers, responsibility. So bioactive is a go!

Great to hear, and what an adorable sully!
I want to make things as "natural" as I can, like you said. Of course, my version of Mother Nature will be much less unpredictable and harsh, but nonetheless at least give them the best of my abilities to have them grow and do well!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I've tried to keep pill bugs and spring tails with my adult and juvenile box turtles. Everybody hunts and eats the pill bugs, they don't last long, but the spring tails maybe do too well. Some claim they help reduce fungus gnat populations and I can say that where I see spring tails, I don't see gnats. I have one indoor enclosure where I don't see spring tails and I have lots of gnats, so it's time to make some introductions and see what happens.