Bins for Indoor Enclosure Ideas

Paul Runyon

Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
Happy New Year everyone! I bought two Christmas tree storage tubs. I originally thought about cutting a 1/3 off each tub and connecting it together to make one big one. However, I am now thinking I might put two holes in the side of each bin and connect them using ducting of some kind (bridge). One side would be the home side, high humidity, lighting, and hides. The other side would be used as a playground and growing food. Thoughts or ideas? Any other suggestions or problems that I may encounter that others may have run into are encouraged lol. Any suggestions or critiques on my plan are welcome.

Tubs.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a great idea. How big is your sulcata?

Paul Runyon

Surprise, AZ
I going to try and find soil in a few. Hoping to find some at either Lowe's or Home Depot. I have read post about people having trouble finding soil that is plain without additives. Anyone know the name of a brand from either of those two places? Thanks!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I was able to find soil without pesticides or fertilizers in it at Home Depot, I can't remember the brand though. And different parts of the country have different items at their stores.
Those Christmas tree boxes are great for baby tortoises. I would keep both sides warm and humid though. You can use coconut coir or orchid bark as a substrate but I don't think plants grow in those very well. I have heard that you can get the coconut coir at garden stores but I usually just break down and get the eco-earth bricks at the pet store or off Amazon. The one time I ordered stuff that wasn't eco-earth I did not like it at all, it had lots and lots of "hairs" in it and I didn't like the consistency of it.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Peat moss is about $13 for a bale (it's usually organic) and expands as you add warm water to it but it may actually be too much for your bins. If you want coco coir, get several 3-count bricks.

Plants won't really grow in either substrate without fertilizers (some are tort safe). Since Sulcatas are little lawnmowers, you might be better off growing trays of food and rotating the trays.

Good luck!

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I have 5" organic topsoil topped with coir/forest floor mix and my seeds sprout with no problem....ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451780423.206201.jpg