Binging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My Hermen tortoise seems to be eating plently for a few days then for a day or two not eating at all is this normal or do you think she is feeling alittle poorly? though the time she isnt eating she sleeps alittle more

adeniumo24

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My russian does that from time to time....eats less some days and others it seems like he can't get enough. Mine seems like it has to do with the weather and temperature. If its cool or cloudy he eats less, warmer he eats more and is more active. I would say its okay as long as yours doesn't seem sickly or not eating for a long time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Rosiee said:
My Hermen tortoise seems to be eating plently for a few days then for a day or two not eating at all is this normal or do you think she is feeling alittle poorly? though the time she isnt eating she sleeps alittle more

Here's my un-scientific take on it: In the wild they don't know if they are going to be able to find another meal, so when they have a large meal in front of them they have to eat it all. They eat and eat and after a couple days of this, eventually get pretty full. Then because of their slow metabolism, the stomach doesn't empty out as fast as we would think, so they aren't hungry when they see the next big pile of food. I've seen it take two weeks for canteloupe seeds to pass through one of my Burmese tortoises.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.