10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Wow, any more pictures of these guys or their pen? Thanks

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Do you think it's bigger than bfmorris (I think the name was?) that you and Dean have visited? They said they are raised as cows on a large desert climate area. I also recall them being very private.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Do you think it's bigger than bfmorris (I think the name was?) that you and Dean have visited? They said they are raised as cows on a large desert climate area. I also recall them being very private.
I've seen Brad's (bfmorris) stuff in photos only and he weighed one saying that it was 265#...and wasn't even his largest! They appear to max out in the 280s...but this one of Bob's is immense. I would be surprised if that thing wasn't 300# easily! And what a great space they have! Well done, Bob!

@Tom GREAT shots brother!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
THIS is why a check TFO everyday. Because you never know when you'll see a post that changes how you see a species. This was a total treat. Thanks to Tom and all that posted photos and info of these incredible sulcatas

gustaf

5 Year Member
Thanks tom for sharing those awesome pics. It makes me so excited to see the potential my big young male ralph has to still keep getting bigger.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Where is this located? What is that place?
Tom must be working today! I've tried to get a hold of him but nothing! Without revealing the individual's name, I will say he's one of the most respected names in the business. I spoke with him today...and he keeps his animals in five separate enclosures...all about two acres each! He's in AZ. Anything past that, I leave for him to divulge

gustaf

5 Year Member
Ok thanks Dean. I didny realize it was a private individual. I thought maybe it was some place open to the public like an exhibit of some sort. I would love to meet him and take a vacation to Arizona some time inthe near future.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
wait what i thought sulcatas max weight was 200! d#mn thats a monster sulcata!
It's not uncommon for the Sudanese sulcatas to reach 250 pounds or more! The hatchlings Tom and I acquired came from a ranch where there are at least twenty animals over 250 pounds and about half of them are over 275 pounds. Judging by my calculations...based on the fact that that water bottle is three feet in front of the tortoise and another 6 feet or so from Tom...

42-45" long SCL
24-26' to the top of his carapace (lying down with legs retracted)
23-26" forearms (circumference)
300-325 pounds

For you newer members,,,these are the parents of the sulcatas we acquired! @JennBell0725 and @Amanda81 this should be of considerable interest to you!
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-250-lb-male-specimens.36412/

@immayo Whitney...do you have anymore to add?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
It's not uncommon for the Sudanese sulcatas to reach 250 pounds or more! The hatchlings Tom and I acquired came from a ranch where there are at least twenty animals over 250 pounds and about half of them are over 275 pounds. Judging by my calculations...based on the fact that that water bottle is three feet in front of the tortoise and another 6 feet or so from Tom...

42-45" long SCL
24-26' to the top of his carapace (lying down with legs retracted)
23-26" forearms (circumference)
300-325 pounds

For you newer members,,,these are the parents of the sulcatas we acquired!
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-250-lb-male-specimens.36412/

@immayo Whitney...do you have anymore to add?
my sulcata is almost 3 years old and only 9inches long! will mine be smaller then other ones? how do you tell if its a sudan?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
my sulcata is almost 3 years old and only 9inches long! will mine be smaller then other ones? how do you tell if its a sudan?
Who'd you get him from? We can almost tell you right off from the source ;)
Growth spurts come and growth spurts go...who knows when they'll happen! Tom and I both had specimens hit 7" at a year...and I had one that was 11" at two years...
One of the best telltale signs that it may be Sudanese is that they ALL have a huge domed carapace...which shows right around 3 years...post some side view pics showing the full length of the shell and we can tell you...yes no or maybe!

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Who'd you get him from? We can almost tell you right off from the source ;)
Growth spurts come and growth spurts go...who knows when they'll happen! Tom and I both had specimens hit 7" at a year...and I had one that was 11" at two years...
One of the best telltale signs that it may be Sudanese is that they ALL have a huge domed carapace...which shows right around 3 years...post some side view pics showing the full length of the shell and we can tell you...yes no or maybe!
i got him at the vivarium in berkley.