Big Mom Mom.....

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
This is the "Big Mom Mom". Is "she" right?

IMG_2054.JPGIMG_2056.JPGIMG_2057.JPG

I cannot tell how old is she. Very health and can poo and pee for sure.

IMG_2048.JPGIMG_2043.JPGIMG_2047.JPG

Very sweet. If you don't believe me, just look into her eyes. You will fall in love for sure.

IMG_2023.JPGIMG_2027.JPGIMG_2033.JPGIMG_2034.JPGIMG_2038.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

gustaf

5 Year Member
Beautiful. Is that a yellowfoot? How long is she?

Silly me. It looked kinda like a yellowfoot to me. Is it a forsten's?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
gustaf said:
Beautiful. Is that a yellowfoot? How long is she?

Silly me. It looked kinda like a yellowfoot to me. Is it a forsten's?

She is a Elongate Tortoise (Indotestudo elongata).

She is about 11 inches long.

Weights IMG_1446.JPG

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Few pictures from earlier this year.

IMG_1218.JPGIMG_1220.JPGIMG_1226.JPGIMG_1273.JPG

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Nice looking female elongate tortoise. How long have you had her?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Benjamin said:
Nice looking female elongate tortoise. How long have you had her?

We bought her for about an year now. Very healthy girl. Eat, walk around then sleep. Drinks lots water then pee like a river. also can feed of your hand.

My wife call her Lu-Lu. Thank you for your reply.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Lu Lu looks great!
Southern California might be warm but it's dry. She might be drinking too much because her enclosure is not correct. She needs high humidity and soakings. Does she pee white urates?
In the wild, The elongated tortoise (Indotestudo elongata) typically occurs in teak forests where the humidity is higher. Tortoises need substrate, it's not right for a tortoise to walk on tile and hard surfaces. Elongates need a jungle terrain to hide in and dig in the warm moist moss and fir substrates.

The elongated tortoise is found in tropical southern and Southeast Asia, and is found in parts of northeast India, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, Vietnam, Thailand and peninsular Malaysia. Places that are not only warm but have frequent down pours and times of high humidity.

More about the elongated tortoise,
Asiatic tropical species
Do not hibernate
Require varying degrees of humidity
Moist substrate required
Require very large terrarium
Regular soaking or constant access to water recommended
Active at dawn and dusk - secretive
Stress very easily

I don't have a elongated myself, these are some observations from my readings and traveling to some of these countries.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
SaveTheTortoise said:
Lu Lu looks great!
Southern California might be warm but it's dry. She might be drinking too much because her enclosure is not correct. She needs high humidity and soakings. Does she pee white urates?
In the wild, The elongated tortoise (Indotestudo elongata) typically occurs in teak forests where the humidity is higher. Tortoises need substrate, it's not right for a tortoise to walk on tile and hard surfaces. Elongates need a jungle terrain to hide in and dig in the warm moist moss and fir substrates.

The elongated tortoise is found in tropical southern and Southeast Asia, and is found in parts of northeast India, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, Vietnam, Thailand and peninsular Malaysia. Places that are not only warm but have frequent down pours and times of high humidity.

More about the elongated tortoise,
Asiatic tropical species
Do not hibernate
Require varying degrees of humidity
Moist substrate required
Require very large terrarium
Regular soaking or constant access to water recommended
Active at dawn and dusk - secretive
Stress very easily

I don't have a elongated myself, these are some observations from my readings and traveling to some of these countries.

Hi The Tortoise savior:
I’m sorry I did not explained clearly in this thread that the Big Mom Mom are not kept in the location I registered of this forum. Lu-Lu is in Southeast China, which I visited frequently due to the business travel. The humidity are high year round, 50+% in winter. 90+% in summer. She lives in the balcony of our apartment, the size of the balcony is about 7’ X 25’, and she shared this balcony with another Keeled box turtle (Pyxidea mouhotii).

The color of her pee are clear. we have very large water pan for her to soak herself, we do see her visit that pan frequent. Her care taker will come to the apartment feed and clean twice a week if we are not there.

She get lots sun, warm and humid environment to live but no substrates for her to dig in. We have few hides that she can pick and choose and fight with Keeled Box turtle. She sleep on top of him sometime we found.

Thank you for the advise, My wife and I may think of something to improve her enclosure.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Substrate is important, can anyone else jump in and explain why substrate is important? What comes to my mind is foot and leg development.

Elongated may not be diggers like other tortoises but walking on a hard tile surface for long term doesn't seem right to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
SaveTheTortoise said:
Substrate is important, can anyone else jump in and explain why substrate is important? What comes to my mind is foot and leg development.

Elongated may not be diggers like other tortoises but walking on a hard tile surface for long term doesn't seem right to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi There:

I fully understand your point and I like to have some suggestion to place some substrate for my balcony which will be little easy to maintain. The balcony are just like outdoor but not exactly. I'm on the high floor, I'm worry dirt will create dust, coco coil will be blown away.

I do like to put some substrate for them but what?

I need help.

Thanks.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
I have a good idea, start a new thread, call it "Help with substrate" include some pics of your balcony. There is many creative people here and you will get many more tortoise experts to reply with their ideas.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
SaveTheTortoise said:
I have a good idea, start a new thread, call it "Help with substrate" include some pics of your balcony. There is many creative people here and you will get many more tortoise experts to reply with their ideas.

Alright Sir.

I hope you are "Sir". Otherwise I'm sorry. Thank you for your help. Thanks.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
What comes to my mind is reptile carpet or real moss, can you grow moss on and outdoor carpet? That's an idea.

mdZpxXezH4N-nfG25oMBfaA.jpg pPETS-6292968_alternate1_t400.jpg zoo_med_carpet_10gal.jpg il_340x270.440040737_4vhv.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
SaveTheTortoise said:
What comes to my mind is reptile carpet or real moss, can you grow moss on and outdoor carpet? That's an idea.

Thank you for the ideas. Moss will be out of question. My balcony are facing south, I will get 16 hours of sun light during the summer. Moss will not survive.

Carpet may be a solution, I need to find one that I can hose off easily, because the weekly caretaker will not spend the time to maintain a accept level of sanitation if too hard for her to clean.

I think I may have a idea about some other material of carpet.

Thanks again. You are so wonderful! ! ! !