Big mike

Big mike

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hey there all new to this o have Russian tortoise and she is 3 or 4 months old have had her for about 3weeks and I have only seen her eat once or twice and all she wants to do is burrow is this normal for tortoises

Big mike

Arizona
Thanks so much for the info I have both day and night lights for the tortoise is this ok also would organic soil be better then pet store bedding

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Get orchard bark or cypress mulch. It’s messy but you can get coco coir.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Hi and welcome. I have recently gotten an adult Russian and he took a week to adjust but he is doing well now and is eating pretty well. The care sheet is so excellent it will give you a lot of good advice.

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Hate to break it to you but that tortoise is not a hatchling. I’d say 10 yrs old. The water bowl needs to be changed immediately, torts can flip over and drown. They need a terra cotta saucer. That Russian needs at least an 8ft by 4ft enclosure, it’s way to small for her. Is that coco coir or soil I see? If it’s soil change it out with orchard bark, coco coir, or cypress mulch.

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
That cage is way too small. Adult tortoises should not live in tanks. That is definitely not a hatchling. You can make a tort table 8 by 4 feet for pretty cheap.

Big mike

Arizona
I was told that when they get them from the breeders they are 2 to3 months old and they only had her for a week before I got her is there a web site I can order from for water dishes cause not a lot of places to get stuff like that where I'm at

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Welcome and sad to say it, but you got Petshopped! You Russian could be full grown or still have some growing to do. @J Sheffield has a monster rescue Russian that is easily on the larger end of the scale. Mine is a Carol S original-got him when he was about 3 months old when I got him and hasnt stopped growing the 309 was December 2019. That is my fancy 4'X12' outdoor enclosure
IMG_0952 (1).JPG IMG_2304.JPEGIMG_1769.jpeg

Reactions: Ink

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
I was told that when they get them from the breeders they are 2 to3 months old and they only had her for a week before I got her is there a web site I can order from for water dishes cause not a lot of places to get stuff like that where I'm at
She is definitely not 2-3 months old, you can go to Lowe’s to pick up the supplies you need to build an 8ft by 4ft enclosure and the water dish.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
congratulations on your new tortoise, once you get him all figured out you will enjoy him or her.

Big mike

Arizona
Hey there all I got a bigger tank and my tortoise is doing great she is eating more and a lot more active so thanks for all the helpful information I appreciate it