"Better then buying GOLD"

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
droogievesch said:
EricIvins said:
I guess I'll go against everyone and agree that investing in Aldabras is a very solid, profitable investment........Why? Because they will always have equity.......

Worst case scenario, you'll break even if you don't want to put the work into selling them........Best case, it can be very profitable.......I have a running list of individuals that want Aldabras over the 8" range, and these people are willing to pay a premium for these animals.......Aldabras and Galops are mystical creatures to most people, and some of those individuals do not care how much they have to pay to own one.......

I for one will start investing in Aldabras later this year, and will consider that my retirement when it comes to it.......

I think you'd agree though that this isn't something that EVERYONE who can afford it should be doing. It takes a lot to properly house and care for them. For the people who have the time, space, correct husbandry/environmental conditions it may be feasible. For every other Tom, ****, and Harry though it's a bad idea.

The whole point was the fact that you can pay $1500 for a 4-5" animal, raise it for a year, and have $1000 or more in equity in those animals. Try that with any other Tortoise.........

It depends on what your goals are - To either keep the animal long temr, or keep it for a few years and sell them for a profit. Nothing wrong with either.......I know people that have done both.......

Just an FYI though - It doesn't take too much to care for any Tortoise in any environment. All it takes is some common sense and brain power to do things the right way, on the cheap........The scale of things may be upped, but it still can be done reasonably and in the budget of most middle class people..........

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I'd have to think you're right. I figured my calculation of 50k a yr per female had to be way high. But I wouldn't put all your torts in one basket. Diversification in retirement is the key.
[/quote]

Thats in a market without variables however.

If in fact you did find a viable female and male for 50k Which you probably wont, your still looking at an up front waiting period.

The female posted could possibly pay eggs, But now you have to find a male big enough to fertilize the eggs the female makes. Which will not be 25k more like 30-55, IF you can find one.

As well as the hatch rate, sometimes you have to take into consideration of the variables at hand. Is she proven, is her first clutch going to be duds, or is the male not ready yet to fertilize successfully, is her clutch size only 3 clutches with 4 eggs, is your house being forclosed on because you just spent 50-75k on tortoises. Theres alot of different variables to take into consideration with an investment like the "sales pitch" on the ad.

There is also a supply and demand. Aldabraman(greg) has built a repuation over decades to supply his demand. But starting off with a hatchlings, even if you were successful year one at hatching 50 babies out, your going to be another vendor, and a unknown name. Most every tortoise lover would kill for an aldabra, but lets face it they are expensive. Theres also only speecific species lovers out there, so that depletes a percentage of the demand, in an already small market. Its a greart thought, and looks awesome on paper, But to me thats just a bad sales pitch, that applies a materilistic approach on something that should be coveted and taken care of with the upmost quality and care needed, and not just a label as an "investment".

Im not attacking you or your questions just iterating my opinion if any words I utilized were offensive It was not my intention.

Kelly

EricIvins

5 Year Member
voodoochild said:
EricIvins said:
I guess I'll go against everyone and agree that investing in Aldabras is a very solid, profitable investment........Why? Because they will always have equity.......

Worst case scenario, you'll break even if you don't want to put the work into selling them........Best case, it can be very profitable.......I have a running list of individuals that want Aldabras over the 8" range, and these people are willing to pay a premium for these animals.......Aldabras and Galops are mystical creatures to most people, and some of those individuals do not care how much they have to pay to own one.......

I for one will start investing in Aldabras later this year, and will consider that my retirement when it comes to it.......

I'd have to think you're right. I figured my calculation of 50k a yr per female had to be way high. But I wouldn't put all your torts in one basket. Diversification in retirement is the key.

Are you wondering why Eric is holdin out on you Aldabraman?

Trust me - I'm diversified, and will always add more of the same or new species as they become available - However, it would take a full year of production from a couple different species to equal the amount of what a clutch of Aldabras would wholesale for.......Hence the emphasis on the big Tortoises.......

But hey, I'm stupid enough to want a group of nasty, irascible Caimen, so I may be off base here........

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
EricIvins said:
droogievesch said:
EricIvins said:

I think you'd agree though that this isn't something that EVERYONE who can afford it should be doing. It takes a lot to properly house and care for them. For the people who have the time, space, correct husbandry/environmental conditions it may be feasible. For every other Tom, ****, and Harry though it's a bad idea.

The whole point was the fact that you can pay $1500 for a 4-5" animal, raise it for a year, and have $1000 or more in equity in those animals. Try that with any other Tortoise.........

It depends on what your goals are - To either keep the animal long temr, or keep it for a few years and sell them for a profit. Nothing wrong with either.......I know people that have done both.......

Just an FYI though - It doesn't take too much to care for any Tortoise in any environment. All it takes is some common sense and brain power to do things the right way, on the cheap........The scale of things may be upped, but it still can be done reasonably and in the budget of most middle class people..........

That would be fun to buy small Aldabras and keep them for a few years.

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
Interesting discussion. There are always wacky variables in breeding plans, and aldabras literally have large variables : )

With the amount of sulcatta sold each year, I don't think the size limit would be the factor, but the price range is definitely more rarefied air that would hold for a while, but not forever...

bigred21220

5 Year Member
this might sound stupid but breeding rodents would be a good investment. I have been into reptiles for a long time even owned a pet store. I always raised my own rodents and made a lot more than a 10% return.

Status
Not open for further replies.