best uvb/uva heat bulb for torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Las Vegas Nevada
what is the best heat or light bulb my tortoise need, i heard that the powersun mvb comes with all uv light and heat in one bulb, and i heard that this infrared nocturnal heat bulb is good too but i don't know if has uv on it. please tell me about the best uva/uvb heat bulb.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Many keepers use the Powersun MVBs for Russians, and those are good bulbs.

To address part of your initial post, you were talking about an infrared bulb for nighttime heat. Infrared bulbs do not emit UV rays, but as this is only for night heat, and you have a great bulb for daytime UV/heat, this is rather moot.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
MVB lamps do not provide enough overall lighting and UVB saturation outside of their beam of light. Leaving the rest of the enclosure without adequate light and UV. A more ideal set up would be either an MVB lamp in combination with a tube type UV that will provide very good overall light and UV in addition to the heat given off by the MVB. Or the more adjustable, economical route would be to use a standard incandscent bulb for basking along with a tube type UV for overall UV and light saturation. By using a standard bulb for basking you can provide good heat that can be adjusted by moving the light fixture closer or farther from the basking area as well as changing the wattages of the bulbs to provide more or less heat as needed. When one blows out only the heat, not all light and UV is lost as with an MVB lamp. A regular incandescent only costs a few dollars so extras can be kept on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.