Best UV light?? NOT tube

OurTommy

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Just wondering if there are any decent UV bulbs on the market that aren't the normal tube ones i.e. screw in.
If so which would you recommend?

Thanking you in advance.

colinschewgirg

We get the Arcadia mvb screw in bulbs there at the higher end of the price bracket but Iv only heard good things about them been happy with ours. X

scrat28

Colorado
A tortoise needs UVB, so make sure that any bulb you get has that included.
I have a ALL LIVING THINGS Desert Compact Fluorescent UVB Bulb from PetSmart.

OurTommy

UK
colinschewgirg said:
We get the Arcadia mvb screw in bulbs there at the higher end of the price bracket but Iv only heard good things about them been happy with ours. X

Cheers I'll have a look at them

colinschewgirg

I was recommended by a local reptile shop but they do sell them at pets at home [TURTLE]

OurTommy

UK
colinschewgirg said:
I was recommended by a local reptile shop but they do sell them at pets at home [TURTLE]

Just found the one you mentioned on Pets at Home. Only problem it provides heat as well. I'm just looking for solely UVB as I have a CHE for heat.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Best UV light?? NOT tube

scrat28 said:
A tortoise needs UVB, so make sure that any bulb you get has that included.
I have a ALL LIVING THINGS Desert Compact Fluorescent UVB Bulb from PetSmart.

Those bulbs are known to burn tortoises eyes

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Once again, the coil type bulbs sometimes burn tortoise eyes and should not be used.

For screw in type bulbs there are Mercury Vapor Bulbs, or a new one here in the US that is just recently being imported called Solar Raptor from Germany.

For anyone in a reasonably warm climate, you should make a safe secure outdoor enclosure, put your tortoise out in the sun, and not use any artificial indoor UV, in my opinion.

OurTommy

UK
Tom said:
Once again, the col type bulbs sometimes burn tortoise eyes and should not be used.

For screw in type bulbs there are Mercury Vapor Bulbs, or a new one here in the US that is just recently being imported called Solar Raptor from Germany.

For anyone in a reasonably warm climate, you should make a safe secure outdoor enclosure, put your tortoise out in the sun, and not use any artificial indoor UV, in my opinion.

Currently winter here in the UK so until it warms up going outside is not an option.
I'll look up those mercury vapor bulbs. Would you recommend 5.0 or 10.0 and what wattage also?

Thanks

Fredandwilma

5 Year Member
Go on the tortoise trust web site it's got best information about. Lighting and heating. Zoological bulbs I ve got 100 watt. It's about 50 quid but they last a long time

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OurTommy said:
Tom said:
Once again, the col type bulbs sometimes burn tortoise eyes and should not be used....

Would the same be said for this type???

http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/zoo-med-reptisun-100-compact-26w-fs-c10-1171-p.asp

Yes, that one and also the first link that was provided for Shelled Warriors show the two type compact fluorescent bulbs that might possible burn tortoises' eyes. Also the ALL LIVING THINGS Desert Compact Fluorescent UVB Bulb from PetSmart that scrat28 referrs to. It is a risk I'm not willing to take.

If you want a UVB bulb that does not also include heat, then you'd want the tube type fluorescent bulb. The 5T is a shorter tube than the 10T. I have 5T bulbs in my tort tables and they provide quite a nice, bright light. I'm completely happy with them.

OurTommy

UK
Thanks all for your replies.

The reason I was asking about a regular bulb rather than a tube one is because, I have been looking at a new table for my RT and the one I've found doesn't appear to have a decent place to fix a tube light to.
Maybe I'll have to rethink the table or at least work out the best way to attach the normal tube lighting to it, as it appears there doesn't seem to be any decent screw bulbs with supply JUST light and no heat.

vanilla13gorilla

Nebraska
If your in the UK, Acadia would be my first choice. T5.. I run them here in the states and cost me a bit to import them from the UK but is worth every penny..

abclements

5 Year Member
Just a quick question... I know you already said you have a CHE, but what's wrong with having a build that provides both light and heat? It would save you some electricity money to have just one bulb working at a time.

I would suggest getting an mvb and putting your che on a thermostat, that way it only kicks on if the mvb isn't warm enough and at nights.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know you were looking for a screw in type bulb, but you know that you can mount the tubes on a wall, don't you? So if you have a wooden tort table, you can mount it on a side wall and get all the benefits of the UV without worrying about hanging the fixture.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Hiya I'm getting an arcadia T5 but how far away from my hermann do I need to place it.?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
10.0 and 5.0 tubes are pretty weak in their UV output. I wouldn't even bother with a 5.0.

MVBs typically come in 100 or 160 watts, with one brand making a 125. Use as much as you need to maintain not he correct temps in your enclosure.

OurTommy said:
Tom said:
Once again, the col type bulbs sometimes burn tortoise eyes and should not be used.

Currently winter here in the UK so until it warms up going outside is not an option.
I'll look up those mercury vapor bulbs. Would you recommend 5.0 or 10.0 and what wattage also?

Thanks

Tinkerbell said:
Hiya I'm getting an arcadia T5 but how far away from my hermann do I need to place it.?

You should start with the manufacturers recommendation. Then use a light meter to adjust if needed.