Best substrate to use??

Megxo

Location (City and/or State)
Derby
I’m looking into getting a young Hermann’s tortoise, and want to know what the best substrate to use is?
I understand that it can be down to opinion, but I’d just like to hear what people think.
He/she is very tiny, so is this something to take into consideration also??
Thanks so much[emoji217]

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Hi,

Welcome!

Many would recommend using orchid bark. Coconut choir and cypress mulch are fine substitutes as well.

Regarding his/her size, there isn't much to worry about. The substrate is the same for hatchings as it is for adults. Just make sure your substrate doesn't get too dry! Keep it warm and damp for your little fella.

Megxo

Derby
Hi,

Welcome!

Many would recommend using orchid bark. Coconut choir and cypress mulch are fine substitutes as well.

Regarding his/her size, there isn't much to worry about. The substrate is the same for hatchings as it is for adults. Just make sure your substrate doesn't get too dry! Keep it warm and damp for your little fella.

You’re a star! Thank you very much, do you just get these things from pet shops? Or more like places such as garden centres etc?

Allybean1002

Nebraska
Hi I was curious about substrate as well. I know a lot of people mix top soil with eco earth but I am having an issue trying to find a topsoil that is safe where I live. Is it okay to just use the eco earth as long as I make sure it is moist and not kept completely dry? I plan to have a humid hide as well

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You’re a star! Thank you very much, do you just get these things from pet shops? Or more like places such as garden centres etc?

Welcome to another Brit :)

No don’t buy substrate from a pet store... they’ll sell you something with sand and/or calcium bits in (neither of which is suitable) and costs double the price because it has a picture of a tortoise on the bag.

Coco coir comes in compressed bricks that you soften with water. Fine grade orchid bark comes in a sack. Both are cheaper from Amazon, a DIY store or garden centre.

They should be mixed with water until the entire substrate is evenly damp right into the corners and right to the bottom. You need about 10cm/4” depth.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides before buying anything. They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Testudo Tortoise Care (Written about Russians but applies to Hermann’s)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

daniellenc

Maryland
I’ve used them all and don’t see major issues with any except coir is sooooo messy. It’s goid as a bottom layer though topped with either cypress or orchid bark.