Best substrate for Hermanns tortoise?

Jodiellm

Location (City and/or State)
Wales
My Herman’s tort is 3 years old and I’ve had him since December I’ve always used pro-rep Mediterranean substrate but I know it’s not recommended and it’s quite sandy he’s never burrowed or even tried do I want to change it but I’m not sure what to change it to. I can’t have anything that smells also. Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.
These are photos of the current substrate.IMG_5861.jpgIMG_6191.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Orchid bark is my personal favorite, but you can also use eco earth, peat moss, cypress mulch, or a mix of these.

Oliverland

Virginia
I use something called creature soil. It is supposed to be used for things like spiders and centipedes but it works great on Oliver my Herman’s! Also how did you get your tortoises shell to look that good!

Jon c

Williamsville
Sorry... what you think is best
Always listen to @Tom, he is very experienced and will not steer you wrong. In most states you can get it in bulk from home or garden centers. I'm in NY, for some reason it's tough to find in bulk so I used zoomed repti bark, same thing. Orchid bark=Fir bark

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Orchid bark is my personal favorite, but you can also use eco earth, peat moss, cypress mulch, or a mix of these.
No peat moss. I used to think that was okay, but then a friend recently showed me the damage it did to the carapace of his young leopard tortoises. Now I recommend against it.