Best substrate for geochelone elegans

Location (City and/or State)
Chennai
Hey their, im a new member here, i would like to get added in good info providing groups firstly.

And next my question is what and which is the best substrate for the geochelone elegans tortoises i can use in my out door enclosure which i have made using plywoods.

Suggestion are greatly appreciated!!

autumn_0201

Kuantan
Welcome to the forum! Hope you have a nice time here. I suggest fine grade bark chips, but compacted coconut fiber works well too! The enclosure needs to have an unscented substrate on the bottom that is designed for retaining humidity. Because of this, it can also offer the tortoise something to grip onto. Also, this can allow them to dig shallow nests and is safe if accidentally eaten, too.

Chennai
Welcome to the forum! Hope you have a nice time here. I suggest fine grade bark chips, but compacted coconut fiber works well too! The enclosure needs to have an unscented substrate on the bottom that is designed for retaining humidity. Because of this, it can also offer the tortoise something to grip onto. Also, this can allow them to dig shallow nests and is safe if accidentally eaten, too.
Hey thanks for this info, to get more in detail, i would like to know which bark chips of a trew can be used which i get in India!! I already have the coco pith which i thought i can mix 50 50 percent of coco pith and gardern soil.

autumn_0201

Kuantan
Hey thanks for this info, to get more in detail, i would like to know which bark chips of a trew can be used which i get in India!! I already have the coco pith which i thought i can mix 50 50 percent of coco pith and gardern soil.
I think a lot of us use orchid bark cos it is small and clean. They are also cheap and the safest by far for torts.

autumn_0201

Kuantan
Hokayiii... Let me try if its available in our place...

So which one do you own... Can i see the pics...

Oh no, I don't own Indian star tortoises LOL. In fact, it's my tortoise-loving grandmother that has her (and the substrate). I only gained some experience while pet-sitting her for about 3 months. Now I can't go over to her place because of lockdown...?and cases here in Malaysia are only increasing (yes, even in lockdown?). I do have a Malayan box turtle though!

Last edited:
Chennai
Oh no, I don't own Indian star tortoises LOL. In fact, it's my tortoise-loving grandmother that has her (and the substrate). I only gained some experience while pet-sitting her for about 3 months. Now I can't go over to her place because of lockdown...?and cases here in Malaysia are only increasing (yes, even in lockdown?). I do have a Malayan box turtle though!
Ho wow you are from Malaysia well known place for Indians... Malaysian box turtle are really intresting... How have you made the enclosure for him?? By any chance you are a tamilian.?