Best species of tortoise

donbv3

Hi
I'm thinking of getting a tortoise but unsure which would be the best breed to have in th UK. I'm very new to tortoises and reading as much as I can before I bring one home.

Thanks
Helen

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Helen:

I think it would be very helpful for you if you would go to our Species Specific section and read the different care sheets pinned at the top of each species section. Reading about how to care for them and what is required should help you make a decision as to what species to get.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Most Mediterranean are better suited to the uk. I myself have a hermanns.they are pretty torts full of personality. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Best in what way? There are so many ways to answer that.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Helen I am in the UK too and have a leopard more by fate than choice but wouldn't change him for the world now. Possibly not the easiest species for the UK climate. I hope you find the tort of your dreams soon and welcome

M

Maggie Cummings

My Bob is actually the best tortoise. But I would recommend a Hermanni for you. They have very sweet personalities, and are easy to care for. My Queenie is a real easy keeper. I like Hermanni's.
But I'm stuck with Bob....or stuck on.....

UF_uwEFPJd1_vgH4EHm_m9w5LtZEsEns9wwHBnhxWuc=s197-p-no

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I believe a Russian tort would do well in the climate of the U.K.Whatever one you choose, I wish you the best of luck.

And of course....a very warm welcome to the forum!

donbv3

Thank you very much for all your replies. I'm very glad I've found your site before buying a tortoise. I'm looking at either a Russian (are these also called horsefield) or a Hermann. As from what I've read they seem the most suited to the UK climate. I would like them to spend time in an enclosure outside in the summer but will live mainly inside as it's not very warm in theha UK. Thanks again for your help i hadn't seen your care sheets before i posted but they are fantastic :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, a Russian is an alternative name for a horsefield.and would be better suited to the UK climate than some other species.
Keep reading and preparing and ask if you have any questions.

donbv3

I have been planning on building my own table but the Russian tortoises I have seen were born last year and are around 2 to 2 1/2 inches. I read a post on here about them needing a humid environment first few years, would this be the case for a Russian tortoise this size?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, at a year old it is still a baby and, according to the care sheet, until he is 2 to 3 years old and about 4" in length should be treated as such.
A humid environment is essential for healthy growth.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I love hermanns, my spud loves to climb and is very curious and friendly. However, it's your choice, good luck