elliotmarie

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hi! I just got his home and am starting to set it based on what the rescue I’m going through says for their testudo tortoises but I have a few simple questions I’ve googled but have anxiety about so I want to check!! I’m more than able to get whatever is best, I just want his home to be the best possible before

can I use tap water for his bowl/bath? I read if it’s good enough for us it’s good enough for them, is that true?

what food is best or what am I looking for? I usually frequent PetSmart or petco, any good brands there or is there something better?

I got a dual lamp, one side has the heat bulb one has UV, it’s huge but Is it ok to have the heat on one side and UV on the other? I’m guessing the warm side on his sleeping area and UV on the water or other way around?

when I first get him home, I let him settle and everything, what’s best for those first few weeks?

I’m sorry this is so basic, I’ve tried to look at different sources but they’re contradictory and I’d rather ask than do the wrong thing so he suffers. I really appreciate the help!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Welcome!

1 - If you like your water, that's fine.

2 - Most keepers here are foragers/gardeners, being of the notion that foods in their natural forms are most recognizable and healthful. Depending on the type of tort, the ZooMed foods seem most popular.

3 - The dual lamps are a draw-back where UVB is concerned. They work with the coil-style bulbs which are harsh, and have even been reported to cause vision discomfort/damage.

4 - Testudo torts are not social. They do not need a lot of comfort, but they do need consistency. If they learn that your are a source of Good Things and not a Bothersome Nuisance, lol, you will get along fine. Less handling will be more. Handle as you need to...daily soaks, quick exam, etc., but don't cuddle or carry the wee thing around like a puppy or kitten.

There are care sheets by species here:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I just got his home and am starting to set it based on what the rescue I’m going through says for their testudo tortoises but I have a few simple questions I’ve googled but have anxiety about so I want to check!! I’m more than able to get whatever is best, I just want his home to be the best possible before

can I use tap water for his bowl/bath? I read if it’s good enough for us it’s good enough for them, is that true?

what food is best or what am I looking for? I usually frequent PetSmart or petco, any good brands there or is there something better?

I got a dual lamp, one side has the heat bulb one has UV, it’s huge but Is it ok to have the heat on one side and UV on the other? I’m guessing the warm side on his sleeping area and UV on the water or other way around?

when I first get him home, I let him settle and everything, what’s best for those first few weeks?

I’m sorry this is so basic, I’ve tried to look at different sources but they’re contradictory and I’d rather ask than do the wrong thing so he suffers. I really appreciate the help!
  • If the tap water is safe for you, then it is safe for the tortoises.
  • What food depends on the species. What are you getting? You won't find good food, good products, or good advice at the pet store.
  • The dual lamps are not the way to go. First off, as Zen mentioned, those coil bulbs are no good. They are ineffective as UV sources and some of them burn tortoise eyes. For indoor UV, if needed, use the HO type longer tubes. Sometimes you need your basking lamp at one height and your heat source at another, or you might need the heat source over the middle and the basking lamp at one end. Either way, the dual fixtures prevent this.
  • For this first few weeks, I'd just go about my business and let the tortoise get used to the routine. We need to know what species and size tortoise you are getting to make recommendations.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
If the petsore labeled it a testudo tortoise, you'll need to post a pic for us to see the exact species so we can guide you on care. Also, the people above have answered everything else perfectly.