best seed mix for planting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi all, I am looking to set up an outdoor habitat for my Russians this spring. Could someone direct me to the best seed mix's? What kind of weeds should I be looking for and possibly the best site to get it from? I am in Western Washington state, if that helps.
Thanks for all your opinions and help in advance! :)

Kuro

5 Year Member
people get busy..give them time

i buy from sulcatafood.com...i buy both the desert and forest varietys and mix them a bit and all my torts love what grows

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
Carolina pet supplies makes a couple good seed mixes as well. They have a grazing tortoise mix that would be good for your Russian.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Yes, I agree - Carolina Pet Supply is the way to go. Turtle Stuff has a lot of very good seeds, but I don't recommend them. I have had a lot of trouble getting my orders in a timely manner. But if you don't mind waiting a while (and I mean up to a month or two) they really have very good seeds. CPS gets the seeds out immediately though.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I agree Carolina Pet Supply has a nice variety. I will order from them in the next few weeks! They have chia, I want to grow that for the kids!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I recently moved my Russian pen over to a new spot. I first killed off all the grass in the new area. After it was dead, I incorporated horse manure into the soil and tilled it up good. Then I broadcast seeds of dichondra, red and white clover, chia, chicory, nasturtium, plantago, turnip and dandelion. Besides what I planted, quite a few other types of weed are sprouting in there also.

You can buy most of the above seeds at Carolina Pet Supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.