Best radiator/heat source for night box?

KatJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hi! I am building a 4x8 night box and was wondering what everyone's preference was for ambient heat. Looking for something that is thermostat controlled and 25 inches tall or less.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My tortoise partner, Will, built me a really nice night box and he used the radiant heat panels for heat. I dial it up to the temp I want and, by golly, it's right on the money. Last night it was 50F here overnight and I had the temperature set at 75F. When I opened the box this a.m. to let them out my cheapy thermometer showed 75F!

night house a.jpg night house b.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

What species is your tort? Any pics of him/her?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
My tortoise partner, Will, built me a really nice night box and he used the radiant heat panels for heat. I dial it up to the temp I want and, by golly, it's right on the money. Last night it was 50F here overnight and I had the temperature set at 75F. When I opened the box this a.m. to let them out my cheapy thermometer showed 75F!

View attachment 189305 View attachment 189306

I learned this idea from Yvonne, about putting the panels on the side, not the bottom or top. It works well, I consistently use more than one panel, it distributes the heat well, and the tortoise(s) can hunker right up on it. They do not get so hot that you can't put your hand fully on them, and they are water tight. The small 'radiators' take up floor space and can burn you if you touch them, they are not water tight, and the heat is focused on one part of the hide. That said if you use them already I'd stick with them, as most come with a thermostats built in, and that is a handy feature. The panels need a thermostat.

I've built two of these like this now, I am a bit of a klutz, so the no-burn surface for me is very valuable. That's why I don't like those damn CHEs, no pilot light and no change of color when they heat.

For small enclosures I come to make heat panels by gluing two 12 x 24 ceramic tiles together with a gap between them large enough to slip a nursery seed mat in. They work great, but again you need a thermostat.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
I get these http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels. Another brands is from the Bean Farm. Both places offer great customer service, but for some reason I go with Reptile Basics. When these guys come to a show, you are likely to get your entry fee back as they charge less at shows than their online price. With smart phones you can check that in real time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...and they are water tight.

@Will The RHPs from Reptile Basics are NOT water tight. I speak from experience here. Very painful experience…
Water lightly sprayed on the surface doesn't seem to be an issue, but water tight, they are not.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
@Will The RHPs from Reptile Basics are NOT water tight. I speak from experience here. Very painful experience…
Water lightly sprayed on the surface doesn't seem to be an issue, but water tight, they are not.
Well, I do unplug them and wait to turn them on again when I hose out the Manouria night box. Not had a problem and they get soaked in the process. The seal is some sort of black silicone glue looking stuff, maybe it pulls away and allows leakage. The Manouria really are like pigs, they enjoy a sloppy house. Good to know.

So how do those radiators fare when hosed off?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, I do unplug them and wait to turn them on again when I hose out the Manouria night box. Not had a problem and they get soaked in the process. The seal is some sort of black silicone glue looking stuff, maybe it pulls away and allows leakage. The Manouria really are like pigs, they enjoy a sloppy house. Good to know.

So how do those radiators fare when hosed off?

I've never hosed inside any of my boxes. I just wipe or blow the dust off with air.

KatJ

5 Year Member
Virginia
Well, I am actually building two night boxes because I have what I believe are two males. I know they are sulcatas and know that one is definitely male. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476307268.332030.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476307293.527597.jpg
Here they both are.

Yvonne- what band is your heat panel?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476307239.432715.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476307239.432715.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 9

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California