Best price for Coco Coir online

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
I found what I'm hoping ends up being a good deal on an 11 lbs. Block of compacted Coco coir at Home depo for $15.95 . So I ordered Artemis one of the blocks to see what mass that kind of size ends up being useful for! I really did not want one of those little blocks that are usually stocked up at the store. I thought I might just have to get a bunch of those little ones if forced to. We shall see!

zovick

10 Year Member!
I found what I'm hoping ends up being a good deal on an 11 lbs. Block of compacted Coco coir at Home depo for $15.95 . So I ordered Artemis one of the blocks to see what mass that kind of size ends up being useful for! I really did not want one of those little blocks that are usually stocked up at the store. I thought I might just have to get a bunch of those little ones if forced to. We shall see!
It sounds as though you will have a lot of substrate. I haven't used that substrate for a few years now, but I seem to recall that it took about 1 gallon of water to fully hydrate each brick. Assuming the bricks to be about a pound each, you will need 11 gallons of water to hydrate your 11 pounder and should get about 90 liters of substrate going by the info on the brick packages. I am guessing, but I think that amount would fill a 3' by 6' tub pretty well with 6" or so of substrate.

Let me know if that is correct (or how far off I am) after you do it.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Yeah, somebody mentioned substrate depth for their tort being the length of the tortoises body ....
Well, mine is no where near that! Artemis is totally do for a rotation of her/his substrate material anyway. I knew if I did some research I could track down some nice wholesale coir. Fun!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I as also want to add a few more inches to my 2 hatchling enclosers ! Sweetness!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I wanted to add that it must be a tortoise lover thing, but , I'm totally stoked to get my large brick of substrate!
I knew if I researched a bit, I could find a better deal on the stuff. We shall see what kind of quality it is apon arrival.
I want to post some links to the best deals on compacted coco coir bricks . Then it will be easier for new tort owners / new members to relent and buy the appropriate substrate for a hatchling! Sometimes the small blocks that are usually overpriced at the pet store are pretty difficult to stop procrastinating about.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Well, my 11 lbs. Coco coir brick ended up being about the minimum amount to completely cover the bottom of Artemis's tort table. So on payday I'll order two more.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Then, once I've gotten my two new Christmas tree totes for my hatchling enclosures ( they are currently housed in individual plastic totes/tubs. But christmas tree size is better.) I think I'll order two more. One for each of the hatchling enclosers . Those small block aren't really good enough. I think I'll probably make this size my new base material.