Best Placement Location For Desert Tortoise License Sticker

Tourtlesdad

Location (City and/or State)
Bellflower
Hi. I am wondering if other keepers of CDT's can tell where the best placement for the License Sticker would be, and also the best method for giving it long life adherence. My tortoise is a fully grown male. Thanks Tortoise forum!

Attachments

• 20200404_122141.jpg
    20200404_122141.jpg
    682.5 KB · Views: 22

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the center of a scute that doesn't get rubbed during the tortoise's daily activity. The scute directly above a back leg might be a good choice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The best place for it is probably in your kitchen junk drawer. You'll never need it, and your tortoise certainly doesn't need to wear it. It won't last a month anyway.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Clean the area well then just peel off the backing and apply.

I operated a turtle and tortoise rescue for many years and during that time several lost then found desert tortoises were returned to their owners because of the sticker.

jeneliza

burton michigan
Do some places make you get one for your tortoises? Here we are only have to do this with our dogs,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do some places make you get one for your tortoises? Here we are only have to do this with our dogs,
If you have a native tortoise, for instance, a desert tortoise in one of the states where they live in the wild, then the state requires that you register the tortoise. The tortoise actually belongs to the state and the person who has it in their possession is merely the caretaker of the animal. You can't take them out of the state they belong to. There are hefty fines involved if a caretaker of a desert tortoise doesn't follow the rules.

jeneliza

burton michigan
If you have a native tortoise, for instance, a desert tortoise in one of the states where they live in the wild, then the state requires that you register the tortoise. The tortoise actually belongs to the state and the person who has it in their possession is merely the caretaker of the animal. You can't take them out of the state they belong to. There are hefty fines involved if a caretaker of a desert tortoise doesn't follow the rules.
Even if you brought it from an out state breeder? Here we have eastern box turtles, there protected, however if you brought it from a breeder out of state you only need the receipt, and sales record, to show it wasn't a wild or a native truttle, we can't but them in Michigan, but can buy them from captive breeders, out of state, I have mixed feeling about , them own it even if you brought it from a breeder , I understand the need to protect wild life, but captive breed, isn't the same, I guess I see it as being able to buy a captive breed tortoises as a way to protect the wild life, but them owning it , I not sure about that part,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We're talking about desert tortoises. Other states have laws regarding box turtles, but the laws usually pertain to whether or not you can own them. I don't know of anyone out of state who has legal desert tortoises and is breeding them to sell.