Best place to find a Pancake tortoise?

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, FL.
Well I've been bitten by the tort bug again! I fell in love with pancake tortoises after seeing some of the pictures other forum members posted a while ago. Since then, I've been reading about them like crazy, researching their housing needs and pining over them constantly.

I think I'm finally ready to move forward and look into getting one! I know that's the only way to squash this bug. :p

I was wondering if anyone knows of any Pancakes up for adoption, good breeders, or the best places to purchase one from.

Thanks!!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pancakes are very hard to come buy. They don't lay big clutches. I doubt you will find one to adopt. I know Tyler of tortoisesupply sells them, don't know if he has any now. He is also a member of the forum.

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
Thanks!! I didn't think there would be any that needed a new home, but I figured I'd put it out there just in case. :)

I'm going to get in contact with tortoisesupply right now to see if they have any!!! I can't wait to find out :D

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
Tortoise supply sold their last baby the day before I contacted them. It doesn't look like finding a Pancake is in the cards for me right now :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh man, sorry. We do have a few breeders on the forum. Not sure if they have anything. You can also check out the faunaclassified or kingsnake ads.
Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
From a pancake breeder. :p

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Try to PM Yvonne or Murray about their friend up near Sacramento, and PM "Tim/Robin" too. He gets a few babies every year.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
If you are not attached to the idea of getting a baby, I have a friend up here with some very well acclimated young adult pancakes. Here are two I've gotten from him. ImageUploadedByTortForum1396025305.043482.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1396025335.827273.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
I'm not particular about the age at all! I would really prefer one that isn't a true baby, as long as it's been started off right :) CowboyKen, yours are beautiful!! I would be very interested in purchasing from the same person that you did!!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'll be see my friend at an event this weekend and I will see what he has. I've done business with him for 15 yrs or so and I call him a friend. He's a good guy. And he's always happy to do follow up help.

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
That sounds like a great person to buy from then! From reading all your posts I know you give your torts great care, so he must give his excellent care too. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed all weekend hoping that he has one he would part with.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I buy stuff from Ken's friend too. Got two Blue Tongue Skinks from him last year. I recommend him highly.

Talking about DD, right Ken?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Yes indeed. Although I tweak his care to better suit my methods, I know he provides the best care for his animals and doesn't see them as inventory but as animals in his care.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Ok. Currently he has none available. He will in 2-3 weeks. Let him know you know me and he'll keep in touch with you.