Best option for tortoise substrate

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Petsmart offer buy online/pick up in store for a 5% discount which is 16.89 for 24 quarts. For us east coasters that is pretty good. Out west it’s like $14 for a 2 cubic foot bag of fine fir bark mulch. Not just better tortoise weather in CA

VegasJeff

Las Vegas, NV
So I see a lot of people recommending the orchid bark. I was orginally thinking going desert sand and rocks. Are there any issues with tort's getting splinters from Orchid Bark?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's pretty much splinter free especially if you get the 'fine' size particles. Sand causes impaction when they trample through the food and drag it in.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So I see a lot of people recommending the orchid bark. I was orginally thinking going desert sand and rocks. Are there any issues with tort's getting splinters from Orchid Bark?
I know when one thinks of certain tortoises, sand and rocks come to mind.
But the longer you keep tortoises, the more reasons you'll find why both sand and rocks are horrible as substrate.
As decorations for part of a very large outdoor enclosure? Sure.
As a basic substrate? No.

I visit Vegas regularly and I know that your "sand" is actually small rocks. Not the powdery stuff. But even they are dangerous because of the same issue. They get eaten.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I mix Exo terra jungle earth with zoo med forest floor for my leopard. is that ok
Acceptable, but not my favorite. Orchid bark is the best compromise of all the factors. I use it for all species in indoor enclosures.

HIJfreund

Valley center ca.
Is Orchid bark and coconut coir a soil for my russian red tortoise. Im making his indoor encloser now and looking for best substrate