Best one for heating my baby torts (ceramic emitter, infared, substrate heater)

Status
Not open for further replies.

relaxkuma123

5 Year Member
Which one is best heat source for heating my baby torts at night time?
(ceramic emitter or infrared lamp or substrate heater...see below pictures)
Ceramic.gifinfared.gifsubstrate heater.gif

I would like to buy one of them to be a heat source for my baby torts at the night time.
Please recommend me the best one.

Ekkapat
Thailand

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Lizards are adapted to absorbing heat through their bellies from below, so you want a heat rock or an under-tank heater for them. Turtles, however, are adapted to absorbing heat through their carapace from above, so you want an overhead heat source for a tortoise. You could use an incandescent bulb, infrared (IR) bulb, or ceramic heat emitter (CHE). I am not sure how energy efficiency compares among these three types, but I use CHEs for a couple of reasons. For one thing, they emit zero visible light - only heat - so you can use them at night if you need to (although I turn them off at night anyway, to simulate natural cool-down). Also, CHEs last a long time; they are simply made of a heating element (a resistor) surrounded by ceramic, so they are supposed to last for years before needing to be replaced (about 3 years, I believe). So, even though CHEs are more expensive upfront, they save money in the long-run. Those are the reasons why I use CHEs. I'd be curious to hear what others think of incandescent and IR bulbs, though (or heat rocks and under-tank heaters, for that matter).

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I to agree on the CHE will out last a IR bulb and it does not put out light I also use a under tank heater under my humid hide to keep the temp nice and cozy:)

TortBrain

5 Year Member
I could not get a CHE in my country and hence, I'm using a IR. Just gotten 2 more as spare:)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I really like the CHE. I have used infrared with good results, but they don't seem to last nearly as long.

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Agree. My 1st IR lasted no more then 2mths. Sigh~
How much does a IR cost over at your side? It cost less then usd4 for 1 at my side.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
TortBrain said:
Agree. My 1st IR lasted no more then 2mths. Sigh~
How much does a IR cost over at your side? It cost less then usd4 for 1 at my side.
They're about $7 or 8USD around here. If you bump them while they're on, they can burn out. The CHE seems to last a long time.

relaxkuma123

5 Year Member
For my side price is incredibly high,
IR 11.5 USD/pcs.
CHE 40 USD/pcs.

Then, finally today I decided buying IR because of cheaper price.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
You won't find too many tort owners that will go against the CHE...this is ALWAYS the best bet for nighttime heat!

relaxkuma123 said:
For my side price is incredibly high,
IR 11.5 USD/pcs.
CHE 40 USD/pcs.

Then, finally today I decided buying IR because of cheaper price.

There's a reason it's cheaper...it's not as effective.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I like my che and use it with a thermostat. Anytime the temps get too low for my baby the che comes on. perfect.

TortBrain said:
Argh, makes me wanna change. Will source for it..

Your torts tied up in a bow are adorable. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.