Best heat lamp for Boxie

Status
Not open for further replies.

George the box turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey guys,

Well, I already know that George doesn't like bright light and I'm needing to get his heat lamp (already have his UVB, exchanged the repti glo 10.0 for the 5.0) and don't know what I should get. Should I get a "heat emitter" or a basking lamp? I feel like he'd definitely hide from a bright basking lamp. So what is the best thing for keeping boxies warm? Any particular brands that you recommend as well?

Thanks for any help you're able to give, I'm hoping to get this for him tomorrow if I reach a consensus on here tonight about the best course of action.

JD

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I'd get a ceramic heat emitter and a thermostat. How warm is the room you have him in? Mid 70s should be good.

George the box turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The room stays on avg. at about 68-70, I have a heat rock in their with him that he seems to stay on alot though, so I figured he'd appreciate some extra warmth. What wattage would you recommend? and what is the best type of fixture to put it in?

Thanks!

JD

George the box turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ok, I'm thinking that this one should work, I am planning on getting the 100 Watt bulb because it is rated to be efficient for a 20-40 gallon enclosure, so I was thinking that it would be fine even when I get his habitat updated to a 50 gallon given that he has a heat rock as well.
Would this be okay:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752658

I'm concerned about fire hazards while I'm away during the day, any suggestions for the best/safest light fixture for this?

Thanks!

JD

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
I'd get a ceramic heat emitter and a thermostat. How warm is the room you have him in? Mid 70s should be good.

A ceramic heat emitter and a 5.0/10.0 uvb bulb? Thats sounds warm but very dim. I am very confused on what is the proper set up. I seem to be always changing what is hanging over the enclosures. 10.0 uvb strip vs 5.0 uvb strip then it was a 10.0 screw-in now its a 5.0 screw-in. Now its a heat emitter vs a basking bulb. With the light so dim how do you see what needs to be cleaned and changed and how are the turtles looking today? Don't they like a "ray of sunshine" to warm up in? Meaning the basking light. I probably have the wrong set up for my tortoises too! good grief & arghhhh. I just want to do this right.

George the box turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I share in your frustration...but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that is lost in the nuances of 50 different types of heat sources!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
We must remember where box turtles live and how they act. They are forest turtles. The only I ever saw them in the open (I grow up in box turtle habitat) was in the early morn or late afternoon or on cloudy rainy days. You don't see them during the middle of the day, they are back in the woods. We are trying to recreate their habitat

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
We must remember where box turtles live and how they act. They are forest turtles. The only I ever saw them in the open (I grow up in box turtle habitat) was in the early morn or late afternoon or on cloudy rainy days. You don't see them during the middle of the day, they are back in the woods. We are trying to recreate their habitat

Ya know, it does help when these things are pointed out. :) Thanks, I will once again switch what is hanging over the enclosures. It will be dim but I will be ok with that knowing that is normal for them.
Again, thanks for pointing that out.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
torts4me said:
Itort said:

Ya know, it does help when these things are pointed out. :) Thanks, I will once again switch what is hanging over the enclosures. It will be dim but I will be ok with that knowing that is normal for them.
Again, thanks for pointing that out.

Well I changed the basking light to a heat emitter and it does look alot closer to the forest setting and its not that bad. They seem to not be hiding their heads as much either. I have the temp at about 80 close to the emitter, is that right? Thanks so much for the advice.

George the box turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I got the 100 watt ceramic heat emitter today, right now I have it in a clamp lamp that doesn't have temp settings, so I've got to keep an eye on the temp until I can find the other kind. anyways, things are getting a lil more toasty in there for him now. As for the UVB lamp, even after switching to the 26 watt 5.0 he doesn't want any part of it. He's hiding in his log boycotting the whole thing. Alot of good that's going to do him! Any suggestions ????

JD

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
George the box turtle said:
I got the 100 watt ceramic heat emitter today, right now I have it in a clamp lamp that doesn't have temp settings, so I've got to keep an eye on the temp until I can find the other kind. anyways, things are getting a lil more toasty in there for him now. As for the UVB lamp, even after switching to the 26 watt 5.0 he doesn't want any part of it. He's hiding in his log boycotting the whole thing. Alot of good that's going to do him! Any suggestions ????

JD

How long have you had George? Are you messing around with him or his set-up alot? Where do you have it placed? Does he come out to eat at all? Some don't like a lot of attention, some don't mind. I know that when I got my latest boxie Jelly Bean she did hide alot, but is more comfortable now. Even Matilda, my first, still hides alot. But they do come out to eat and will watch what I am doing. My Male, SweetPea is very active and curious. Guess what I am saying is some are shy and some are not.

George the box turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I've had George for about 11 years. He's always been fussy at times but surprisingly curious about everything that's going on in his habitat and outside as well (i don't think he's ever figured out the concept of glass). However, I think I freaked him/ticked him off with the bright UVB lamp I originally put in there last week and since I switched I think I was still dealing with his original upset. Today he's started being his old self and coming out to say hello when I come in....(i begged for forgiveness with a dozen fat crickets & it seemed to work ok). So, atleast I know now I can resort to bribery if I have to, but he seems to be more content now.

JD

Status
Not open for further replies.