Best foods for a redfoot

R07x

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hello everyone
Was wondering on what information and advice people have as what's best to feed a baby Redfoot and what's not good?
Seeing so much conflicting information but just want to make sure I give him the best?
Thank you

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm tagging @ZEROPILOT He will give you great advice.
If you look in the Species Specific section there may be a caresheet to help too

The information on this forum is up to date with many experienced keepers to answer questions but there is a lot of outdated and incorrect advice still circulating on FB and on other websites.
Forget the others sources and make this your first port of call for all things relating to torts.

R07x

London
I'm tagging @ZEROPILOT He will give you great advice.
If you look in the Species Specific section there may be a caresheet to help too

The information on this forum is up to date with many experienced keepers to answer questions but there is a lot of outdated and incorrect advice still circulating on FB and on other websites.
Forget the others sources and make this your first port of call for all things relating to torts.
Thank you, I have a few books and have looked at so many caresheets on the Internet but some are so different to others, just want to make sure I'm giving him the right things. I'm still new to this tortoise forum so still trying to figure out how to get through it but I will have a look, thank you ?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Here are the caresheets on TFO:
I feed my Redfoot a handful of greens each morning the size of her shell. While she begins on that, I make up whatever else I'm feeding her for the day, which includes:
  • butternut or spaghetti squash or pumpkin 2-3 times a week
  • papaya or mango or kiwi 2-3 times a week
  • mazuri or zoo med kibble 1-2 times a week
  • animal protein once a week
  • I shake a supplement over the greens a few times a week
  • variety is key, so just use the above as a starting place (I do)
Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot have the largest menu of any other species. They can eat things that would kill other tortoises.
A diet heavy in fruit, flowers, leafy greens, Mazuri, mushrooms, vegetables and animal protein should be included.
Things like Spinach and Purslane are technically not recommended because of a high oxalate content. But can still be fed in moderation.
The key is variety. Mix it up and feed a varied diet and there should be dozens of items you can obtain at any time of year for him or her.

R07x

London
Redfoot have the largest menu of any other species. They can eat things that would kill other tortoises.
A diet heavy in fruit, flowers, leafy greens, Mazuri, mushrooms, vegetables and animal protein should be included.
Things like Spinach and Purslane are technically not recommended because of a high oxalate content. But can still be fed in moderation.
The key is variety. Mix it up and feed a varied diet and there should be dozens of items you can obtain at any time of year for him or her.
Here are the caresheets on TFO:
I feed my Redfoot a handful of greens each morning the size of her shell. While she begins on that, I make up whatever else I'm feeding her for the day, which includes:
  • butternut or spaghetti squash or pumpkin 2-3 times a week
  • papaya or mango or kiwi 2-3 times a week
  • mazuri or zoo med kibble 1-2 times a week
  • animal protein once a week
  • I shake a supplement over the greens a few times a week
  • variety is key, so just use the above as a starting place (I do)
Jamie
For animal protein, how would I give them to him& how much would you suggest? We gave him a live mealworm and he seemed to love the chase for it and seemed to of liked it

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
For animal protein, how would I give them to him& how much would you suggest? We gave him a live mealworm and he seemed to love the chase for it and seemed to of liked it
I've done a number of different animal proteins.

I started out feeding raw salmon (with skin) or shrimp (with shells) or chicken liver, but switched because it was messy, possibly lacking in organs and bone for complete nutrition, and I felt silly getting such small quantities at the supermarket.

I switched to Reptilinks, which are more complete nutritionally, but expensive.

Currently I'm feeding my forest torts (a Redfoot and an MEP) Instinct Raw Dog Food, which is 95% meat/organs/bone, and 5% fruit and veggies. It's nutritionally complete, easy to portion (they're frozen bits the size of regular dog kibble), and pretty cheap.

food5.jpg

Jamie