Best dog breed for the 'outdoors'? (For new dog owner too)

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Why do people get dogs and then don't train them? I think it's because they don't know how to train them. They don't put in the time needed. And they think much of the bad behavior is the dog just being a dog. A coworker of mine has replaced her couch four times since I've known her because her dogs tear it up. She couldn't walk her two dogs together because they didn't get along etc. etc. you get the idea. She says that her dogs require so much attention and work but I don't think she realizes that if she would've put in that attention and work at the beginning she wouldn't have to now.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A lab should suit you just fine in an apartment. Really any dog can. You just have to do the right things. Try to prevent the common problems, fix your mistakes and solve whatever problems you encounter along the way.

Astrochelys

Why do people get dogs and then don't train them? I think it's because they don't know how to train them. They don't put in the time needed. And they think much of the bad behavior is the dog just being a dog. A coworker of mine has replaced her couch four times since I've known her because her dogs tear it up. She couldn't walk her two dogs together because they didn't get along etc. etc. you get the idea. She says that her dogs require so much attention and work but I don't think she realizes that if she would've put in that attention and work at the beginning she wouldn't have to now.

That makes sense. But it still bothers me. When I was volunteering at the shelter I saw so many dogs labeled with 'aggression' and 'social' problems that could have been easily avoided if they had been trained. It's one thing not knowing how to train a dog and trying to learn, it's another thing just refusing to learn. I just dislike seeing dogs being labeled as 'biting machines', even by my family, and feel like if someone owns dogs, they have to put in time to train them. They're a part of your family and should be treated as such. Not going after your coworker, I really admire her since she is keeping the dogs and hopefully she is trying to train them now, but I am going after the people who get dogs then give them up after they're 'acting up' because they didn't put in time to train them properly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I try to tell people they don't have to live that way, but some people just seem unable to understand or unwilling to put the time and effort in. I don't see how replacing couches is easier than spending 5 minutes a day on training, but how do we get people to understand?

Astrochelys

A lab should suit you just fine in an apartment. Really any dog can. You just have to do the right things. Try to prevent the common problems, fix your mistakes and solve whatever problems you encounter along the way.

Would you say it's okay to get a puppy or should I stick with a teenager or adult?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I worked at a shelter for one summer. Never again, broke my heart on a daily basis. Some people treat animals as disposable. But there are some wonderful animals at shelters, I got my first dog from a shelter and had her 17 years. She was a wonderful dog.
My coworker does not train her dogs. She will have to replace another couch soon. It just baffles me. I am very thankful for my dog when I see other dogs doing things that would drive me insane. I think you are putting enough thoughts and concern into getting a dog that you will be fine. I've had a dog since I was 13 years old. Including all through college and a move halfway across the country. But there were a few months here and there where I could not keep my dog with me and she stayed with my parents. It doesn't sound like that is an option for you. There'll never be a perfect time to get a dog but give it some thought, maybe you'll get one earlier than you think.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would you say it's okay to get a puppy or should I stick with a teenager or adult?

Puppies require a lot of time and effort. When I say a lot, I really mean A LOT. The benefit is that you can be sure that everything is done how you want it and you can have the right foundation for what you intend to do. Remember early in this thread when I told you good dogs are made, not bought? Raising a puppy the right way is part of that "making" process.

On the other hand, IF (BIG if...) you can find a good adult that has the right stuff, you can skip all the puppy stuff and get started on the more advanced stuff right away. There are a lot of good dogs in the pound and for most people that is the best way to get a dog. Best to take a trainer that knows how to evaluate dogs with you. If they understand what you want, what you intend to do, and how much time you intend to put into training, they can help you get the right dog. Many times the right dogs are passed over due to people just not understanding the whole picture.

Astrochelys

@Tom That's true, I've been looking into labs on breeders web page through the Lab club to find the best and most reputable and so far I'm getting pretty excited. I'm just curious at the age of 7 weeks, are they usually already potty trained or do they need to be potty trained? I'd make my perfect dog from a puppy, but just not sure on some things as of yet. I'm sure as time goes by and when I do more research it'll be fine though. Do you know if breeders generally train them a bit, or is it primarily your own responsibility to housebreak them?

Thanks!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I vote get a puppy. To me the pros outweigh the cons. And let's be real they're so stinking cute :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom That's true, I've been looking into labs on breeders web page through the Lab club to find the best and most reputable and so far I'm getting pretty excited. I'm just curious at the age of 7 weeks, are they usually already potty trained or do they need to be potty trained? I'd make my perfect dog from a puppy, but just not sure on some things as of yet. I'm sure as time goes by and when I do more research it'll be fine though. Do you know if breeders generally train them a bit, or is it primarily your own responsibility to housebreak them?

Thanks!

Housebreaking doesn't even begin until you take the puppy home.

Astrochelys

I vote get a puppy. To me the pros outweigh the cons. And let's be real they're so stinking cute :)

Haha, I'm leaning towards a puppy after watching some videos and looking at some pictures. The big plus would be training and then for my family.as they won't be terrified of a puppy (hopefully, but it would be quite amusing seeing my mom running away from a little cute puppy).

@Tom Oh okay, I thought they would have been potty trained. But either way, I'm sure I'll enjoy the experience of bonding with the dog! Even tho I might get sick of cleaning crap off the carpet haha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Haha, I'm leaning towards a puppy after watching some videos and looking at some pictures. The big plus would be training and then for my family.as they won't be terrified of a puppy (hopefully, but it would be quite amusing seeing my mom running away from a little cute puppy).

@Tom Oh okay, I thought they would have been potty trained. But either way, I'm sure I'll enjoy the experience of bonding with the dog! Even tho I might get sick of cleaning crap off the carpet haha

It will usually only take a few weeks to potty train a lab, but if you do it right, you won't be cleaning up any messes at all. This refers back to when I said too much freedom too soon...

Astrochelys

It will usually only take a few weeks to potty train a lab, but if you do it right, you won't be cleaning up any messes at all. This refers back to when I said too much freedom too soon...

Oh okay, hopefully that's the case for mine then haha. I'm just thinking about if I'm at work, it could be a bit of a problem. Sorry for making you reiterate things aha

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I did crate training, I came home at lunch, and I had a friend who could put the puppy out if I was going to be really late. It worked out fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh okay, hopefully that's the case for mine then haha. I'm just thinking about if I'm at work, it could be a bit of a problem. Sorry for making you reiterate things aha

You will not be able to leave a puppy alone all day while you are at work. Early potty training consists of taking the puppy out every hour, 24/7. As they get older and begin to understand the concept you can start stretching it to every 2 or 3 hours after a few days. You can usually go overnight after a month or so, if you manage water intake at night and do everything right.

I tell people to take 2 or 3 weeks off of work when they get a puppy. Unless they are multiple reliable people in the household that can help.

Its much like having a human baby. It requires a lot of time initially. The time will spent will pay off in the end though.

Astrochelys

@leigti I'll look into the method!

@Tom Gotcha. If I do get one before grad school, I'll look into getting them in the summer so I can devote a majority of my time to them since I'll have a few months to myself. Either that or I will take a few weeks off or have someone stay with them and watch them.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Taking time off is a great idea. I worked seven on seven off and couldn't take any Time off at that point. But I got the puppy at the beginning of my seven off and I was lucky to have someone to help and be able to come home at lunch. There is always a way to make it work.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Tom, what do you think of these doggy daycare's that seem to be popping up everywhere? I can guess what you're thinking but I thought I would ask anyway. They are becoming more and more popular.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, what do you think of these doggy daycare's that seem to be popping up everywhere? I can guess what you're thinking but I thought I would ask anyway. They are becoming more and more popular.

I have mixed feelings about them. It can work in some circumstances, but it can be a disaster in others. Not something I would ever do.