Best dog breed for the 'outdoors'? (For new dog owner too)

Astrochelys

@spudthetortoise Ahh, it looks cool! Haha. Adding another one to my dream list lol

@Tom I want to be able to connect with the dog that i do get, and that's why I wan to do all this research beforehand so I know what I'm getting into and know what to do to raise a healthy animal. Right now my vet friend is in vet school, so it'll take them some time before they're out haha. Same with me and getting my grad degree. Would you say to wait till after I get my grad degree to get a dog? I'm leaning towards yes to wait since I know I won't be able to devote myself 100% to them while there, however, I think it'll do some good as it'll keep me motivated and fit having a dog there and all. And thank you so much for the help again, I really do appreciate it. I'll make sure to let you know when I get one (even though it'll be either a few years till I get one or quite a few years haha). That's really not that much money. I was thinking it would be that much for a session after watching some shows and hearing some stories. I'll be sure to do that then. I'll probably end up going to the shelter for a first dog then maybe get one that I mentioned later on in the future.

As for the people petting them, I've heard it's a bit bad before. But I always felt like it would be a bit hostile saying 'No, you can't pet my dog.' haha. I'll make sure to say something along the lines of 'Sorry, I'm still in the process of training him' to let them know then. For the commanding part, I've heard that it's okay to be 'rough' a little. For example if you say sit and they don't sit, then I was told you're supposed to push his bottom down. Is this right? I feel like it's too aggressive and you're just asking for a nip/bite. And for the feeding part, I've always been interested in the raw diet vs. normal diet. Which do you feed if I may ask? And thanks again for your help! I'm the first person to want a dog out of my immediate family so it's a pretty big leap for me. I've never had good experiences with them (I've been scratched, nipped, chased, etc. a LOT in the past) so it's a big thing for me to want to venture out. I apologize if I worded this weirdly, I'm on my phone so I apologize.

@ascott In public, I'm a pretty shy person. I'm normally an introvert as well. But I don't have a problem with speaking in front of large crowds.However, with family or close friends, I'm normally very talkative, and don't have a problem when trying to be assertive or confrontational. But I am looking to change myself. Not for a dog, just to feel better about myself and I'm slowly becoming better at speaking out while in unfamiliar situations and such. I guess the best way to describe myself is when I'm with friends and family/school setting I'm very aggressive (not in a bad way) but if you put me into a group of people I don't know, it'll take a day or two to get me going.

Astrochelys

These dogs are awesome my cousins have some and they live on a farm and they keep up very well

So far I've taken some quizzes online, just to see what I would get, and I've gotten the Vizla, Weimaraner and GSP, yet I keep on reading they become destructive if the person is gone for some time. As I don't know what my future will be like, I'd rather it keep it's composure whenever I'm gone. But whenever I do come back, or before I leave, I'll make sure to give it a good walk and such.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
German shepherds like to be good. They like to have a clear job and directions to follow. Then when they are praised for a job well done, they know they're good dogs. They are work dogs, and can go insane without a job. That's my take on it, anyway.

I'm not sure what my shepherd x thought her job was. She was under my desk when I was at it, slept at the foot of my bed, was never more than 6' away. Did in more shoes than I care to remember, ate the kids' library books, ate my harp key and the dog training book ... Yes, you could say she was not happy alone.

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
So far I've taken some quizzes online, just to see what I would get, and I've gotten the Vizla, Weimaraner and GSP, yet I keep on reading they become destructive if the person is gone for some time. As I don't know what my future will be like, I'd rather it keep it's composure whenever I'm gone. But whenever I do come back, or before I leave, I'll make sure to give it a good walk and such.
Oh, I've never heard that, although I have got to say I have never been searching them. vizslas are a big dog thy doesn't smell my neighbour has one, he is lovely and I have never heard them saying anything about him chewing. I have a jack Russell I love him to bits but he is a little hard to train, he looses focus quickly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom I want to be able to connect with the dog that i do get, and that's why I wan to do all this research beforehand so I know what I'm getting into and know what to do to raise a healthy animal. Right now my vet friend is in vet school, so it'll take them some time before they're out haha. Same with me and getting my grad degree. Would you say to wait till after I get my grad degree to get a dog? I'm leaning towards yes to wait since I know I won't be able to devote myself 100% to them while there, however, I think it'll do some good as it'll keep me motivated and fit having a dog there and all. And thank you so much for the help again, I really do appreciate it. I'll make sure to let you know when I get one (even though it'll be either a few years till I get one or quite a few years haha). That's really not that much money. I was thinking it would be that much for a session after watching some shows and hearing some stories. I'll be sure to do that then. I'll probably end up going to the shelter for a first dog then maybe get one that I mentioned later on in the future.

As for the people petting them, I've heard it's a bit bad before. But I always felt like it would be a bit hostile saying 'No, you can't pet my dog.' haha. I'll make sure to say something along the lines of 'Sorry, I'm still in the process of training him' to let them know then. For the commanding part, I've heard that it's okay to be 'rough' a little. For example if you say sit and they don't sit, then I was told you're supposed to push his bottom down. Is this right? I feel like it's too aggressive and you're just asking for a nip/bite. And for the feeding part, I've always been interested in the raw diet vs. normal diet. Which do you feed if I may ask? And thanks again for your help! I'm the first person to want a dog out of my immediate family so it's a pretty big leap for me. I've never had good experiences with them (I've been scratched, nipped, chased, etc. a LOT in the past) so it's a big thing for me to want to venture out. I apologize if I worded this weirdly, I'm on my phone so I apologize.

You are very much on the right track with all of your thinking about this. You are going to be a great dog owner with a little training help. You are asking all the right questions and pondering all the right things.

Your questions:
Waiting: I'm really not as old and wise as some of the members here, but I will share my take on "time". You think you are busy now? Wait until after you graduate, start your new job and need to make a good impression. You will never have more time than you have right now, unless you want to wait until you retire at 65 to get your dog. Add in a wife and a kid or two, and then your life is no longer your own... My recommendation: There is no time like the present. Go get a dog now, and figure out everything that life throws at you along the way. Or, if you really don't want the added hassle, stress, and expense, don't get a dog. I won't lie. Having a dog (or dogs...) is a pain in the rear sometimes. Planning vacations or just taking off for a day or two can become a real problem. Getting home in time to meet the dogs needs EVERY single day brings challenges and problems that many people would rather not inflict upon themselves. I don't hold it against anyone for not wanting to deal with all the numerous responsibilities of dog ownership. Personally, for me, the benefits of having my dogs around, outweigh the frequent costs. Dog ownership is not for everybody, but it is for me.

Meeting Strangers: People petting your dog is good. People imposing themselves on you and your dogs space, doing dominant things (dominant in the dogs eyes...) and lording over your pup from above is not good. Let people pet your dog and give him/her treats, but make them do it on YOUR terms in a way that you determine and control. Your dogs will recognize your control of every situation and it will increase his confidence in you as a leader, and decrease his fear of the rest of the world.

How much "force" to use?: Sometimes none and sometimes a lot. Depends on the dog, age, and situation. Many variables to consider. There is definitely NOT a one size fits all answer for all dogs, and this is my main issue with today's current crop of "dog trainers". So many subscribe to one school of thought or the other, and oppose each other's points of view. They are both wrong and both right. There are infinite shades of gray here and the dogs don't care what school of dog training thought a person believes in. A good dog trainer knows both schools of thought and can work interchangeably with either or both at the same time. What will YOUR dog need? I have no idea. Depends on many factors, but beware of any trainer that thinks their method is the only way and other methods are "bad". There is nothing wrong with treats and praise and there is nothing wrong with prong collars as long as each is applied correctly at the correct time on the correct dog.

Feeding: There is a large debate on this nowadays too. Again with each side vehemently defending their point of view. My opinion: Either way can work and neither way is "better" than the other for every situation. We've had debates here on the tortoise forum about this. Do a search for "raw diets" to see the discussion. I know people with healthy dogs on just about any feeding scenario you could think of. I choose to use a good kibble as a base, and I add canned food or a wide variety of table scraps pretty regularly. I am a fan of Purina Pro-Plan. I've been using it on dozens of dogs for more than a decade and I see the best results and fewest problems with Pro-Plan compared to other brands and types. This does not mean that no other way will work. If you have the time, money and inclination to correctly do a raw diet regime, then go for it. It can work if done correctly. Is it better than my way? No.

Keep asking all the questions you can think of.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
German shepherds like to be good. They like to have a clear job and directions to follow. Then when they are praised for a job well done, they know they're good dogs. They are work dogs, and can go insane without a job. That's my take on it, anyway.

I'm not sure what my shepherd x thought her job was. She was under my desk when I was at it, slept at the foot of my bed, was never more than 6' away. Did in more shoes than I care to remember, ate the kids' library books, ate my harp key and the dog training book ... Yes, you could say she was not happy alone.

ALL dogs benefit from having a job. I don't mean turing them loose to exercise on acreage, I mean giving them specific work to do. The results are truly magical when done correctly and thoroughly.

I think your dog may have suffered from too much freedom to make bad choices early on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Everyone has their favorite breeds and for a wide variety of reasons. I see and work with all of them.

I have yet to see a Visla with what I would consider good temperament. Many of them are overly fearful, suspicious, or timid, and many of them are biters. This does not mean that there are not good ones in the world or that they can't be raised and socialized well, but I would not recommend the breed to a first time dog owner based on what I have seen of the breed. I mean no offense to anyone who loves them or has a neighbor with a nice one, or grew up with one. I'm just sharing the general knowledge that I've gained from decades of working with many breeds on a daily basis.

Astrochelys

@Tom Thanks! And I'm not allowed to get a dog currently as I'm in college and my parents don't like them at all. My whole thing for wanting a dog is that I'm looking more for a best friend than a kid to look after. Odds are I probably won't get married so I'd really enjoy the company. I think I might just keep them on dog food as it would be convenient in many ways. Ideally, I'd love to be able to switch whenever need be, but I'm not sure if it would work. The dog food would work when I'm not in the house and a friend has to look after the dog for a day or two or if I'm going on a hike and can't really carry any raw meat. Otherwise I like the idea of feeding it all natural food and all. I'll look into the Pro-Plan tho! And out of the three that I mentioned (Vizsla, Weimaranar and GSP) which would you say is the best and easiest to work with? Not saying that I'm getting any of them right off the bat, but just curious. In the end, i believe I might end up getting a Lab just because they're a bit easier to take care of, train, maintain (from what I heard and there are outliers of course), etc. and just because GSDs might not be allowed in most apartments and I heard they raise the insurance quite a bit.

Thanks Tom and everyone else!

I apologize if some of it is worded weirdly, I'm on my phone again aha

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Everyone has their favorite breeds and for a wide variety of reasons. I see and work with all of them.

I have yet to see a Visla with what I would consider good temperament. Many of them are overly fearful, suspicious, or timid, and many of them are biters. This does not mean that there are not good ones in the world or that they can't be raised and socialized well, but I would not recommend the breed to a first time dog owner based on what I have seen of the breed. I mean no offense to anyone who loves them or has a neighbor with a nice one, or grew up with one. I'm just sharing the general knowledge that I've gained from decades of working with many breeds on a daily basis.
My neighbour has a viszla and I and he is the most soppy dog. He is definitely not fearful and doesn't bite. He's a loon! My door was on the latch and he broke in once! If he sees me he literally pounces on me. I have met a few. Never a shy one (yet). :) he is also quite obedient (from what I see) and walks nicely along side his owner off the lead in the park :)

I also LOVE jack Russell's but I find he gets distracted easily, I wouldn't change him for the world though :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like Weimaraners. Some of them are quirky, but not in a bad way. They are not known for being dog geniuses, but I find them agreeable.

I already commented on my experience with Vislas.

I currently work with three German Wirehaired Pointers and I've worked with probably 10 shorthairs over the years. The wirehairs typically have aggression in them, but its easily managed if they are raised correctly. I have not seen as much aggression out of the shorthairs. I like this breed too, but also not know for obedience training prowess.

Of the three I think I like the GSP the best, followed by the Weim.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My neighbour has a viszla and I and he is the most soppy dog. He is definitely not fearful and doesn't bite. He's a loon! My door was on the latch and he broke in once! If he sees me he literally pounces on me. I have met a few. Never a shy one (yet). :) he is also quite obedient (from what I see) and walks nicely along side his owner off the lead in the park :)

Where are you?

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Appenzeller Sennenhund and Entlebucher are both cool dogs, and I am not just saying that because they are compatriots. :D

You can also use the Appenzeller to pulla cart if you want to.

Both can be bit wary of strangers, but you were looking for a dog that protects you as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm in the uk :).

European lines are often quite different than what we have here in the U.S.A. Frankly Americans do not have a great track record with dogs, temperament and breeding. I would not be at all surprised to find out the the temperament of many breeds is better over there than it is here.

Astrochelys

@Tom Thanks so much for the help! For right now I think I've asked enough questions so it's time to do my part and research. So far I've been really looking into the raw food diet and think I'd like to go that route. Is it much more expensive than kibble in your, or anyone's, experience? I've never really bought meat or went to the butchers since my family is vegetarian so I don't know too much.

@peasinapod Thanks I'll look into them!

@spudthetortoise I'm looking for a medium to large sized dog, kind of wolf like in the way that they have a longer muzzle, idk why but I'm really partial to that characteristic haha

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I pretty much echo Yvonne and Tom here. Ava, my Doberman, is a lover. I was working remotely at home when I got her and did so on purpose. The first 12-18 months are so important with a dog learning to be a good member of the family. And this is how I deal with grooming ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433472852.664734.jpg

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
ALL dogs benefit from having a job. I don't mean turing them loose to exercise on acreage, I mean giving them specific work to do. The results are truly magical when done correctly and thoroughly.

I think your dog may have suffered from too much freedom to make bad choices early on.
I think you're right, Tom. That dog should have been crated when home alone for much longer than she was. She grew out of the chewing and was a terrific dog.